The following bundle is two common core-based lessons on the Paleolithic Era and the Neolithic Revolution that followed it. The two lessons focuses on human origins in Africa, an analysis of early human societies, and a detailed analysis of the changes resulting from the Neolithic Revolution. Purchase this bundle and save $2.00 (compared to purchasing all three separately. These lessons contain a variety of student-centered activities that are designed to promote critical thinking and class discussion. The bundle includes:
Early Humans in the Paleolithic Era - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now: Image analysis – Otzi the Iceman – class discussion.
• Video song from historyteachers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLD6VW3XlUc) - questions follow
• Primary and secondary source reading on human origins in Africa along with Mary Leakey – includes critical thinking questions.
• Movie clip: 2001 – A Space Odyssey (not included but youtube link printed on worksheet) – questions follow.
• Discovering the Paleolithic Era gallery walk activity – student analysis of different artifacts (on the PowerPoint – can also be printed out and posted around the room). Students answer several questions analyzing the Paleolithic peoples.
• Wrap it up – Students create a thesis about the life and culture of early human.
• PowerPoint with 9 slides
• Plenty of discussion opportunities.
Turning Point: The Neolithic Revolution - Global History Common Core
• Do now that serves to review from the previous lesson and set up the current one
• Questions about the meaning of the terms revolution and turning point.
• Secondary source reading explaining the Neolithic Revolution – followed by questions and a small group activity – advantages and costs of the Neolithic Revolution.
• Journal entry activity
• Analysis of Catal Hoyuk – reading and questions.
• Wrap it up activity
• Many opportunities for discussion.
This bundle can be easily modified to fit a shorter or longer class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Please follow me to receive notifications of newly posted products. Finally, please take a moment to rate this worksheet. Thanks!
Please see the individual worksheet pages to see the common core standards met by each lesson.