Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
The following worksheet and PowerPoint comprise a common core-based lesson on the Paleolithic Era. The lesson focuses on human origins in Africa and an analysis of early human societies. This worksheet and PowerPoint contain a variety of student-centered activities that are designed to promote critical thinking and class discussion such as:
• Do now: Image analysis – Otzi the Iceman – class discussion.
• Video song from historyteachers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLD6VW3XlUc) - questions follow
• Primary and secondary source reading on human origins in Africa along with Mary Leakey – includes critical thinking questions.
• Movie clip: 2001 – A Space Odyssey (not included but youtube link printed on worksheet) – questions follow.
• Discovering the Paleolithic Era gallery walk activity – student analysis of different artifacts (on the PowerPoint – can also be printed out and posted around the room). Students answer several questions analyzing the Paleolithic peoples.
• Wrap it up – Students create a thesis about the life and culture of early human.
• PowerPoint with 9 slides
• Plenty of discussion opportunities.
I also offer this lesson/PowerPoint bundled with the next lesson on the Neolithic Revolution:
This worksheet and PowerPoint can be easily modified to fit a shorter or longer class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. Please follow me to receive notifications of newly posted products. Finally, please take a moment to rate this worksheet. Thanks!