The Early Intervention Handbook is your must-have guide for all things Early Intervention and caregiver coaching.
The EI Handbook includes over 230 pages of evidence-based information, therapy ideas, and strategies, to help you feel confident you're delivering effective, evidence-baed caregiver-coaching sessions.
Imagine how nice it would feel to have the evidence for parent coaching, right at your fingertips.
Imagine how good it would feel to access milestones and checklists, when you need them.
Imagine not having to spend time thinking of how you can use or explain certain language strategies during play and daily routines.
Imagine having hundreds of strategies and ideas laid out for you to choose from.
Imagine having over 200 play ideas to use in your early intervention sessions.
It would feel pretty nice, right? Well, this Early Intervention Handbook for SLPs includes all of that, and more.
- Research overview- evidence-based overview for all things early intervention. Including parent-coaching, parent-implemented interventions, routine-based interventions, play-based interventions, working with diverse families, and more.
- Milestones- for a range of speech and language skills, including prelinguistic skills all the way to phonological processes.
- Information for therapists- includes more evidence-based information, including practical tips and therapy ideas for a range of skills. Includes imitation, joint attention, gestures, using books in therapy, developing attention and listening skills, cause and effect skills, songs, rhymes, and fingerplays, and more.
Also includes an overview of research related to early language strategies, as well as a breakdown of 24 different language strategies.
- Play-based therapy ideas- Includes 30 different toys, and ideas for how to use the 24 different language strategies with these toys and games. Plus, you never have to worry about thinking of a therapy activity again, because there are over 200 play ideas included too.
- Routine-based therapy ideas- Includes 24 language strategies, and how to use these during 21 different daily routine activities. Play ideas are also included for some of the routines too.
- Out and About activity ideas- Includes 24 different language strategies, and ideas for how to use these with 4 different 'out and about' activity ideas, including going on a nature walk, going to the playground, grocery shopping, and in the car.
- Additional useful links, recommended reading, and references also included.
The download comes as a zip file. The following files are included in the zip file:
- Printable version- available in US and UK English.
- No Print version- available in US and UK English. Load onto a tablet, scroll through the pages. Navigate through the handbook using the hyperlinked contents page. Return to the contents page by pressing the title on any page.
- Troubleshooting tips document also included- includes tip for printing (choose 'fit to page' and check the print preview to make sure nothing is cut off, before printing), and explanation of how to navigate the 'no print' version.
- Binder spines, tabs, and additional low-ink cover option.
- An updates list- This resource is updated regularly to fix errors, make changes, and keep up-to-date with research. You can redownload it at any time to get the most recent version. (Tip- Always redownload before you print, to make sure you have the most current version!).
- This Handbook has been designed for SLPs. It is very content-heavy, and most pages are not suitable to use as handouts for parents/caregivers. The Handbook has been designed to support you, the SLP/SLT, to deliver effective, evidence-based parent-coaching sessions. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to use the Q&A feature, Thank you!
⭐️ If you're looking for caregiver-friendly handouts you can use in your coaching sessions (which also complement the information included in the EI Handbook, check out these early intervention handouts).
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Carolynne B. says: "Any therapist working in EI needs this book. This should be used as the EI textbook in grad school. Absolutely amazing and you can tell how much heart and soul went into planning and creating this handbook. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!"
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Christina T. says "As a new early interventionist, this resource is fundamental! It provides so many resources and suggestions and is perfect to use when planning therapy sessions or giving parents suggestions. You have to get this resource!"
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Abbey M. says "This resource is absolutely amazing! I am starting my private practice and have a ton of toddlers at the moment. I thought I knew a lot about parent coaching but this has given me so many more ideas! Definitely a must for anyone working with toddlers and their parents."