All elementary school teachers know how important it is to teach segmenting as part of early literacy instruction. Elkonin boxes are a common tool to increase students' phonemic awareness. This set focuses on CVC words and breaking them down into initial consonants, medial vowels (short vowels), and final consonants.
PLEASE NOTE: This is the BASIC Set. There is an EXTENDED Set that has all of these contents AND a lot of other stuff. Please compare the two ( click here for the EXTENDED set
) to see which you would like to have. :)
My Early Literacy Tools: Elkonin boxes and Medial Vowel Set was designed with the intention of making word segmenting fun and easy. These materials are specifically designed to be used as file-folder activities.
The 48 picture words in this Elkonin set - mostly CVC, 13 with digraphs like sh and ck - are perfect for segmentation activities. Additionally, there are at least 7 images for each vowel, perfect for sorting with the vowel line (You will find 3 options for vowel lines - I made sure that the vowel lines will fit on a file folder as well.)
The basic set has:
1. 48 image cards
2. a complete movable alphabet - including digraph cards for the combinations ck, ll, sh, ss, and tt.
3. 10 different colors of Elkonin box mats - a pastels set, and a rainbow colors set.
4. 3 versions of a vowel line, and an ABC line
5. CVC worksheet
6. short vowels poster
7. 3 file folder word building sets with 16 words and images in each - one set for initial consonants, one for medial vowels, and one for final consonants.
8. two-page index of labeled images, as well as a sheet listing image words by medial vowel.
All image files are letter-sized for easy color-printing, either at a home / school computer, or any office supply store.
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: here's a free sample of CVC images, movable alphabet, and Elkonin boxes
P.S. Please visit my store for additional HELP FOR STRUGGLING READERS
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
- Look for the green star below "Made by Jen Strange" at the top right of the page:
click it to become a follower.
- You will then receive customized email updates about this store, as well as follower messages (with exclusive freebies!)