Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
0.46 MB | 20+ pages
Early Republic Rumble
A Discussion-Debate Battle Royale Over 200 Years in the Making
The Early Republic period of out country’s history is as important as it is overlooked. During this crucial period, the revolutionary generation strove to make good on the promises laid out in our founding documents while simultaneous struggling with powerful European nations, Native American tribes, and each other. But how do you get students interested in the battle of ideas taking place for the soul of the country? This game allows students to critically examine the role of a Founding Father by comparing/contrasting and debating their importance with their classmates. After learning about the role their assigned statesmen played during the Early Republic, they will try to create a measure of their overall importance. Following a brief share out with classmates, they will then begin “training” for the eventual debate by perfecting their arguments about why their founder was a “hero of the republic” This will require additional research and require critical thinking as students seek the most compelling information about their founder. Finally, they will engage in a multi-stage “duel” with similar figures judged by their classmates until finally only one founder remains supreme and is crowned “Champion of the Early Republic” This is a fun way to introduce students to the people and events that shaped the early history of our nation at the same time students develop 21st century competencies like communication, critical thinking, and collaboration.
Project Overview: What makes a champion?
1) Draft founder and do preliminary research. “What made your founder and hero/zero during the Early Republic?”
2) Students complete Early Republic Rumble Overview sheet to show off their research and to determine “weight class” for debates.
3) Students are divided into “weight class” based on how well they complete their first assignment, and then are divided up into teams to “train” their founder.
4) Students support each other in researching their founders and narrow down the facts they have gathered, synthesizing the information into the most compelling five-part argument.
5) Students then divide up into their “weight class “ and hold a series of “bouts” or mini-debates against each other to determine a winner sharing the arguments they’ve perfected. Students judge the matches and secretly select the winner of each bout.
Following the conclusion preliminary “bout”, the winner of each weight class will go on to the “Battle Royale” where the entire class decides the final winner based on each candidates arguments.
Comes with everything you need for your own epic rumble as well as support via email during your first deployment!