PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Earth Day Mini-Unit | Earth Day Close Reading and Writing Activities
Provide your students with a background on Earth Day while practicing guided close reading skills. This resource teaches students about the importance of Earth Day and ways that they can take care of the earth. Original nonfiction passages on Earth Day are followed by structured/guided close reading exercises that have students scouring for examples of key ideas, text structure, author’s craft, and more. Also includes writing responses, vocabulary booklet, bookmarks, and story cards.
This resource was designed to be little to no-prep for you, last at least three days in the classroom, and works extremely well as an emergency sub plan resource. Simply copy enough pages for your class(s) and keep on hand with a copy of the included Teacher Notes. Perfect for days when you have to be out unexpectedly!
1. Teacher Notes. Several pages of notes explaining what is included, the standards this resource covers, and how to use the materials in your classroom.
2. Student Packet Cover Page. Use this sheet as a decorative cover if you choose to use the materials as a packet for your students.
3. Non-Fiction Passage. Three versions of an original passage on the history of Earth Day. Perfect for differentiating. Each passage is four pages long and includes several text features such as: captions, headings, photos, and a word bank.
4. Student “I Can” Statement Sheets. Before each close reading activity is a sheet listing the standards covered in student-friendly text.
5. Close Reading Practices. Students read the passage three times and complete a different close reading practice after each.
6. Vocabulary Grid. Students write down interesting, unknown, and important words as they read.
7. Writing Prompts. Students use information from their reading to complete two writing prompts. In order to answer completely, they must use text evidence in their responses.
8. Writing Pages. These blank writing templates with an Earth Day theme can be used in several ways. Place the pages in your writing center, use for writing letters, or for creative writing assignments. Six options to choose from.
9. Vocabulary Booklet. Eleven words important to the Earth Day story fill the pages of this booklet. Pages can be cut in half and stapled on the side to make a booklet or copied back to front as a packet. A blank page is included for students to add their own important words (from Close Reading Practice 2).
10. Earth Day Bookmarks. Copy these onto cardstock and/or laminate so that they last for months to come.
11. Close Reading Thinkmarks. Each of the close reading practices asks students to mark the passage for something specific. You can also have them mark more of what they notice by utilizing these thinkmarks.
12. Story and Word Cards with Activity Grid and Response Sheets. The activity choice grid is simply a suggestion as to how the cards can be used. Use them however you see fit with your students. The activities can be completed independently, with partners and small groups, or simply placed in a center. There are 16 picture cards, 17 word cards, one activity grid, and three response sheets included.
13. Answer keys.
Thanks for stopping by my store and taking a look! Please email me with any questions you have before purchasing. firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to receive updates and discounts on newly listed products? Click the star by my name to follow my store. Subscribing to my newsletter will give you access to exclusive free resources, advance notice of special events, as well as occasional updates to posts and products. Subscribe
© 2013 Jennifer Martinez, everything just so. All rights reserved. License permits individual use in single classroom only. To share with friends, please purchase additional licenses at a discounted price. No part of this work may be reproduced in any way or by any means without expressed written consent of the author. Thank you for helping to protect my work!