This is a BUNDLED pack of
Please DO NOT purchase this bundle in addition to the packs above, or we will all just be sad.
Earth Day Pack:
This pack was created for 2nd- 3rd graders struggling with finding the main idea in nonfiction text. It contains one informational article about Earth Day. It is labeled as a Lexile level 810L. Because it is nonfiction, and there are some content related vocabulary words, the level was driven up. This pack is perfect for guided reading or as independent work.
After students read the article and answer the questions and/or fill out the graphic organizer, students can cut the article apart and glue the text features into a text features hunt book. A smaller, one page version of the article is included, in black and white, for students to cut apart. I do recommend that the original article be printed in color, if possible, so students can see the pictures.
Students can also answer questions about the article. Students will have to use the text features to answer the questions. This would be perfect as a center or small group activity. Two different sets of questions are included. One set of questions is more difficult. The cover sheet for the activity is included in color or black and white to best meet the teacher’s needs.
Also included is a Recyclable Materials sort. Students sort pictures of recyclable objects into the categories of paper, plastic, aluminum, or glass. Then, students record the sort by cutting and pasting a smaller version of the sort. The sort is included in color or black and white. I do suggest the larger sort be printed in color so students can easily see what the items pictured are.
Included in this pack:
• A circle map to activate prior knowledge
• 3 vocabulary cards, with photographs
• Informational article in color
• Informational article in black and white
• Main idea questions and answer key
• Main idea graphic organizer and answer key (each heading)
• Main idea graphic organizer and answer key (entire article)
• Article for scavenger hunt
• Text Feature Book with cut and paste definitions for all features in this article
• Two sets of questions, a higher and lower level, about the text features with recording sheet and answer key.
• Recyclable Materials sort with recording sheet and answer key
The text features included in this article:
• Bold, underlined print (types of print)
• Side Bar
This is one pack in an upcoming series. One more pack will be available soon. It will be teaching main idea, with chimpanzees!
These packs are already available:
Earth Day Fluency Pack:
This pack was created to help 2nd-3rd graders practice fluency. All the passages are written within the 2nd-3rd Lexile band according to the CCS.
This pack includes:
• Tips for using fluency passages
• 3 level passages on the same topic (conversation)
• Student copies and teacher copies of the passages
• Comprehension questions about the passages (multiple choice or open answer format) with answer keys
There are three different passages all about Earth Day and different ways to conserve. The three passages are written on three different levels (740L, 780L, 810L). The level of each passage is on the bottom right of each passage. Except for these numbers, all the passages look the same with the same border and font.
The teacher can use these as individual assessments, whole group practice, or leveled partner practice.
Student copies and teacher copies are included. The teacher copy includes the total number of words in each line, as well as an area to record the number of errors, accuracy rate, and correct words per minute for three different reads.
Also included are two different comprehension sheets (a multiple choice and open answer version). Both sheets contain similar questions with a different format and can be used for all three passages. Answer keys are also included.