These three activities will be a fun addition to your Springtime Math Centers and will reinforce equivalent fractions and comparing fractions.
Included in this set are 16 cards of fractions and three activities:
1. Equivalent Fraction Memory: the traditional game where students will need to turn over two cards and match equivalent fractions. Recording sheet included.
2. Fraction Comparisons: Pull two fraction cards and compare them using <, >, or =. Recording sheet included.
3. Equivalent Fraction Secret Message: Can be used as a quick assessment at the end to check for understanding, or include it as a center. Students will write in the equivalent fraction in its lowest form (the cards can be used to help, or remove them for more challenge) and then use the letters to spell a secret Earth Day message ("Recycle"). Lots of room for variation in this activity :)
These activities address the following 3rd Grade Common Core State Standards:
CCSS.Math.Content.3.NF.A.3 Explain equivalence of fractions in special cases, and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
- CCSS.Math.Content.3.NF.A.3a Understand two fractions as equivalent (equal) if they are the same size.
- CCSS.Math.Content.3.NF.A.3b Recognize and generate simple equivalent fractions, e.g., 1/2 = 2/4, 4/6 = 2/3. Explain why the fractions are equivalent, e.g., by using a visual fraction model.
- CCSS.Math.Content.3.NF.A.3d Compare two fractions with the same numerator or the same denominator by reasoning about their size.
Happy Earth Day and enjoy!
For more information, visit my blog: 3rd Grade Thoughts