Earth Day Poster with Grammar and Writing Tasks
This Earth Day poster presents information about the holiday and is easy to put together. Written in language that English Learners at intermediate levels of proficiency (and up) should be able to understand, this resource incudes grammar and writing tasks to extend your students’ learning.
Updated May 22, 2023: Clipart images changes to photographs and grammar task, writing template & table of contents added!
✓ Please note:
* This resource is a sampler from my Posters about American Holidays with Writing, Grammar and Speaking Activities resource, which you can find HERE. This resource includes 18 posters plus writing and grammar tasks, suggestions for speaking practice, target vocabulary words, templates for students to write their own acrostic holiday poems, and a lesson plan.
* You can also find this Earth Day poster in a smaller set of March, April & May Holiday Posters, which is from the larger product; it contains all the writing, speaking, and grammar tasks, plus lesson plan, that are not included in this sampler; you can find that set or 4 posters HERE.
Resource at a Glance:
* Facts about the environment and how to preserve it.
* When the holiday is celebrated.
* What phrase is connected to the holiday.
* How to write an acrostic poem.
* When to use the word “the” in sentences.
* English Language Learners at low intermediate levels of language proficiency and higher who are not familiar with American holidays.
* ELLs and other students learning about different kinds of poetry.
* Upper elementary learners.
* The poster is easy to assemble and can be used as classroom decor or on a hallway bulletin board.
* Posters provide models of acrostic poems when teaching a poetry unit.
* Template gives students practice writing their own acrostic poem.
* Poster helps raise awareness and can be used when teaching science lessons about the environment.
* Posters give students grammar practice in how to correctly use the word the.
* Suggestions for discussion are included to provide students with speaking practice.
* The included answer keys save you time when evaluating students’ grammar work.
What educators who have used this resource say about it:
♥ "Thank you for this great resource, I plan on using it for my upcoming Earth Day lesson!" -- SillyOMusic.
♥ "Having an environmental project with my beginners, this poster will find its place in my classroom. Thank you for sharing." -- Christel C.
What you get in this product:
★ Explanatory Notes to the Teacher information (1 page)
★ A picture showing the finished poster (1 page)
★ Cover page with answer key for the grammar task (1 page)
★ The acrostic holiday poster (3 pages)
★ Explanation of the images on the poster (1 page)
★ Template for writing an acrostic poem about Earth Day (1 page)
To make the poster, just print out the pages, glue or tape or staple them together, and it is ready to be displayed in your classroom or hallway. That’s it! Or, for a cleaner look, cut off the top and bottom margins of the middle page before attaching the pages to each other. If you can laminate the poster, it can be used for many years. Directions and photos of the assembled poster are provided in the sampler.
The information about Earth Day is written in acrostic poem format. As a result, the poster also makes a great model when teaching a poetry unit. Included in the resource is a page that lets students write their own acrostic poems about Earth Day.
Students can also demonstrate their understanding of when to use the definite article the in sentences by doing a grammar task. The info on the Earth Day poster is intentionally written in phrases and sentences that omit the word the. The task for students is to rewrite the sentences and insert the in the correct places. An answer is provided on a page that can also act as a cover page to help you organize the materials in this resource.
Your students will enjoy learning about Earth Day with a poster about this American holiday!
You might also like these products:
★ March, April & May Holidays: Word Search & Crossword Puzzles BUNDLE
★ Earth Day Word Search & Crossword Puzzles: Print & Paperless Versions
★ Earth Day Vocabulary Boom Cards™
★ Scientific Method BUNDLE with Lesson Plan, Poster & Other Activities
★ End of Year Science Persuasive Writing Activity
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!