This pack was created for students struggling with finding the main idea in nonfiction text. It contains one informational article about Earth Day. This pack is perfect for guided reading or as independent work. There are multiple levels of the same passage.
This pack contains the follow approximate levels:
• Mid 2nd grade
• End 2nd grade
• Early 3rd grade
• Early 4th grade
After students read the article and answer the questions and/or fill out the graphic organizer, students can cut the article apart and glue the text features into a Text Features Hunt Book. A smaller, one page version of the article is included, in black and white, for students to cut apart. I do recommend that the original article be printed in color, if possible, so students can see the pictures.
Students can also answer questions about the article. Students will have to use the text features to answer the questions. This would be perfect as a center or small group activity. Two different sets of questions are included. One set of questions is more difficult. The cover sheet for the activity is included in color or black and white to best meet the teacher’s needs.
Also included is a Recyclable Materials sort. Students sort pictures of recyclable objects into the categories of paper, plastic, aluminum, or glass. Then, students record the sort by cutting and pasting a smaller version of the sort. The sort is included in color or black and white. I do suggest the larger sort be printed in color so students can easily see what the items pictured are.
Included in this pack:
• A circle map to activate prior knowledge
• 3 vocabulary cards, with photographs
• Informational article in color
• Informational article in black and white
• Main idea questions and answer key
• Main idea graphic organizer and answer key (each heading)
• Main idea graphic organizer and answer key (entire article)
• Article for scavenger hunt
• Text Features Book with cut and paste definitions for all features in this article
• Two sets of questions, a higher and lower level, about the text features with recording sheet and answer key.
• Recyclable Materials sort with recording sheet and answer key
The text features included in this article:
• Bold, underlined print (types of print)
• Side Bar