This PowerPoint presentation is perfect for teaching your students about astronomy. It includes 50 colorful slides and check-your-understanding questions to keep your students engaged throughout the lesson.
The presentation is aligned with the NGSS High School Earth and Space Science performance expectations and disciplinary core ideas in ESS1: Earth’s Place in the Universe.
The PowerPoint presentation and its learning outcomes are aligned with the content of Science Literacy Activity #1 Astronomy and Its Practical Applications, which is available as a free download. Important passages from Science Literacy Activity #1 are integrated into the PowerPoint presentation. You can use this PowerPoint presentation in your PowerPoint-based lecture and assign Science Literacy Activity #1 as homework.
This PowerPoint presentation and Science Literacy Activity #1 are also included in NGSS Earth & Space Science Astronomy Lesson Plan #1 Astronomy & Its Applications.
Student learning outcomes are as follows. Students will be able to:
• Explain how astronomers define the Universe.
• Explain the difference between astronomy and astrology.
• Describe how ancient astronomers contributed in the development of astronomy.
• Explain how the invention of the telescope together with the advancements in natural sciences have transformed astronomy into a modern science.
• Describe the composition of the Solar System.
• Explain the difference between planets and their moons.
• Define the main asteroid belt, the Kuiper Belt and the Oort Cloud.
• Explain how space telescopes allow astronomers to study the Universe.
• Define extrasolar planets.
• Explain the importance of the study of near-Earth objects (NEOs).
• Describe how solar flares affect the Earth.
• Provide examples of practical applications of astronomy.
Download this FREE Earth and Space Science lesson plan
to learn more about my lessons plans and teaching resources.
SAVE MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans BUNDLE #1 Astronomy as a Science
SAVE EVEN MORE by purchasing NGSS Earth and Space Science Lesson Plans MEGA BUNDLE - 50+ Turnkey Lesson Plans