Earth Systems Unit
Layers of Earth / Tectonic Plates (Faults, Folds, Mountains, Volcanoes, Earthquakes)
The two power points included have over 700 slides covering the first two sections of the Earth Systems Unit. This ONLY covers the first two sections (6.E.2.1 and 6.E.2.2), which is the layers of the earth as well as tectonic plates.
The big topics are:
1. Layers of the Earth and their properties
2. Tectonic Plates (discovery, boundary types and results)
3. Types of Faults and Types of Mountains
4. Volcanoes (formation, parts, types, classification, deadliest volcanoes countdown)
5. Earthquakes (causes, types of seismic waves, locations, scales used to measure, tsunamis, highest magnitude earthquake countdown, earthquake proofing buildings)
This is specifically tied to North Carolina Essential Standards, or NC Essential Standards for 6th grade. The PPT is designed to cover in detail the unpacked standards.
However, this is an awesome teaching tool for any unit focusing on the Earth's compositional layers. (crust, mantle, outer core, inner core) as well as the Tectonic Plates/Volcanoes/Earthquakes. This will certainly fit most states standards.
Included in the PPT are:
-Printable unpacked standards
-Pre-Test and Post-Test with answer keys
-5 vocab quizzes with keys
-7 sets of guided notes for students who need modifications with answer keys to go along with PPT teaching
-2 sets of guided video notes (must have discovery education account OR access to YouTube to watch videos)
- 1 Earthquake Proof Buildings Lab
- Several Class Assignments (please check preview…too many to list)
- Earthquake/Volcano Map Plotting Activity
- Bingo Review
- foldable, graphic organizer,
-unit PowerPoint (over 600 slides) teaching in detail the unpacked standards of these two SECTIONs of the unit, necessary background information, and digging deep areas! Things that I require my students to write in their notes are in red.
Normally, I list an ENTIRE UNIT, but I am finding this unit to be HUGE! So, I am listing the first two sections together. I will later list the third and fourth sections together (rock cycle, minerals, soil)
Please look at preview to see what you're getting!
Also check out my word wall that goes along with this unit.
Earth Systems Vocabulary Word Wall
Or my year long bundled word wall covering all 7 units of 6th grade NC Science for a savings of $6.00!
Bundled Science Word Wall