Crossword which tests students' understanding of key vocabulary in the study of Earthquakes.
There are 37 words. These include
- Specific Earthquake Keywords (Earthquake, Fault, Tremor, Aftershock, Foreshock, Vibration, Focus, Epicenter, Hypocenter)
- Effects of Earthquakes (Tsunami, Seiche, Liquefaction, Landslides)
- Words key to the study of Plate Tectonics (Plate Tectonics, Plates, Crust, Continental Drift, Ring of Fire)
- Seismic Waves (Seismic Waves, Primary, Secondary, Surface)
- Faults and Forces (Normal, Reverse, Strike-Slip, Tension, Compression, Shear)
- The Study and Science of Earthquakes (Geologist, Seismology, Seismologist)
- Measurement of Earthquakes (Magnitude, Intensity, Richter Scale, Mercalli Scale, Seismograph)
This could be used as an assignment at the end of a unit on earthquakes. Alternatively, it could be used as a tool for revision. Sometimes an activity like this is useful as a filler, when you have nothing else prepared!
I've added as much detail as possible to the clues, so that students are learning while working on this task. In this way, it's an Active Learning Resource.
This is a challenging activity. There is a word bank to assist students. You could redact this to make it more difficult.
The solution is also provided. Download the preview file to see the solution and how the words appear in the grid.
In this version of the crossword, I have used American spelling for words like Epicenter and Hypocenter.