Also available in our Natural Disaster Activity Pack - 4 products in one.
This activity pack contains 14 activities to explore the topic of Earthquakes and Tsunamis. They can be used as whole class activities, centre activities or individual activities. The activities strongly combine the science topic with reading skills and strategies. Many activities relate to the comprehension strategy of summarising. Some are also writing prompts.
Some of them link to internet sites for technology use. A lot of the activities are in foldable format. Answers are included where appropriate. The only resources that are needed are some texts or books on earthquakes and tsunamis which can include websites. Any activities that require a text or book can then be scaffolded to the appropriate level.
- 2 Acrostic Poems (Earthquake and Tsunami)
- Alphabet (topic word for each letter)
- Earthquake and Tsunami Vocabulary (foldable involving matching topic words to definitions)
- Earthquake Damage
(foldable looking at images of earthquakes and identifying damage)
- Effects of Earthquakes (foldable matching different effects with definitions)
- Emergency Kit (foldable where students rank chosen emergency kit items and justify choices)
- Hand (research an earthquake or tsunami in history and pull out main facts)
- How a tsunami forms (foldable ordering descriptions on how a tsunami forms)
- Newspaper Comprehension
(foldable with questions on 4 different internet articles around tsunamis or earthquakes)
- Short term and long term impacts (foldable sorting impacts of earthquakes)
- Surviving a tsunami (foldable looking at a website and increasing survival chances)
- Tectonic plates jigsaw (jigsaw pieces for a world map divided up in tectonic plates)
- Types of faults (foldable that involves matching names, description and picture)
- Types of plate boundaries (foldable that involves matching names, description and picture)