Earthquakes and Volcanoes – A Digital Scavenger Hunt Activity
- Internet Activities
Also included in
- Earthquakes and Volcanoes - A 5E Lesson Bundle for middle and high school students. Everything you need in one tidy package. This fully-editable, no prep bundle follows the 5E model and provides step-by-step instructions on how to implement it in your classroom. Each included resource is either compPrice $9.97Original Price $17.08Save $7.11
- Each resource inside this bundle was handpicked to cover all aspects of the MS-ESS2 curriculum (ESS2-1, ESS2-2, ESS2-3, ESS2-4, ESS2-5, ESS2-6). The resources found inside will ensure your students fulfill each requirement of the standard and keep them interested and engaged throughout. Your purchasPrice $49.47Original Price $98.07Save $48.60
- This Middle School Earth and Space Science Complete Bundle includes all the resources you need to teach Middle School Earth and Space science according to the NGSS. Your Bundle IncludesMS-ESS1: Earth’s Place in the UniverseMS-ESS2: Earth’s SystemsMS-ESS3: Earth and Human ActivityYour purchase also iPrice $133.47Original Price $266.09Save $132.62
Earthquakes and Volcanoes - A digital, device-based resource that will get your kids out of their seats, engaged, utilizing technology, and collaborating to solve real problems and test their knowledge. This activity works well across grades as a means of assessment, review, and/or instruction. This hunt was designed for high school earth science students.
This activity is the coolest thing I've created and your kids are going to love it; mine do. Think of a scavenger hunt, then add devices (Smartphones, Chromebooks, Laptops, or Tablets), engaged students, and learning through assessment and you have this resource.
Quick Disclaimer. In order to use this activity, your classroom must have at least 1 device per 3 students. Smartphones, Chromebooks, Laptops, and Tablets will all work perfectly. The wording and delivery make this resource perfect for a wide range of grade levels. If for some reason you feel this hunt isn't perfect for your classroom, I'm happy to refund your purchase no questions asked.
The Content Includes:
• What Causes Earthquakes
• Building Design for Earthquake Safety
• Types of Volcanoes
• Charles Francis Richter
• George Julius Poulett Scrope
• Largest Volcano in the Solar System
I've created a video that walks you through the entire activity. I did it using screen capture software on my phone so you can see exactly what your students will see. CLICK HERE to have a look.
Download the Sample to see firsthand exactly how the Hunts work and why your kids will love them. Included in the sample is the full version of
- Our Solar System
- Static Electricity
**I find providing full scavenger hunt examples is a more effective way to show what the resource offers compared to only displaying a partial version of your topic.**
Scavenger Hunt User Comments:
- "Just what I was looking for! Perfect!! Great way to get the students up and keep them engaged!"
- "My kids loved it!"
- "Everything I've purchased from Teaching with Fergy is AWESOME!! "
- "So excited to use this instead of my old videos and boring powerpoints!!"
- "The students learned a lot and were very engaged in the lesson. Thank you."
- We did "Physical and Chemical Changes" in class yesterday! My students loved it!"
- "I can't wait to share these with my students! They love this QR thing! :-)"
- I used this half way through my unit so that the students can go through it to help consolidate some important concepts!
- "Fantastic! I love this scavenger hunt, I am changing my schedule for tomorrow's astronomy class and we are definitely doing the scavenger hunt."
- "Really awesome resource."
Here's how you implement them:
• Print the QR codes and place them around the room
• Place your students into groups
• Let them loose! They move from Location to Location as they complete their tasks. Each Task is assigned by scanning the QR code and there are 5 Tasks per Scavenger Hunt Activity.
• Have them submit their answers directly to your email via a form on my website.
• Lets your students utilize their devices
• Cuts down on wasted paper
• Combines learning with assessment
• Is a lot of fun
• Comes in both Word and PDF formats
Each Hunt is different and offers a unique way for your students to explore the topic. From Hunt-to-Hunt, possible tasks your students will face include:
• Video analysis
• Fully automated and marked Quiz
• Finish the story
• Start the story
• News article
• Word Scramble
• Short answer
• Web research
There are other Hunts as well and I'm continually adding more. Currently, the Hunts I have available include:
Space and Earth Science:
• The Moon
• The International Space Station - Meeting Our Needs
- Asteroids, Comets, and Meteors
• Biochemistry - Macromolecules
• Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration
• Genetic Material - DNA and RNA
• Classification of Living Things
• Muscular and Skeletal System
• DNA, Genes, Chromosomes, and Alleles
- Cell Membrane and Transport
- The Nervous System
- Excretory system
- Endocrine system
• Average Speed, Velocity, and Displacement
• Mass, Volume, Density, and Buoyancy
- Sound, Sound Energy, and the Speed of Sound
- Newton's Three Laws of Motion
- Kinetic and Gravitation Potential Energy
- Light and the EM Spectrum
- One and Two-Dimensional Motion
• Atoms: Atomic Theory and Structure
• Physical and Chemical Changes
• Elements and the Periodic Table
• Types of Chemical Reactions and Balancing
• Solutions and Mechanical Mixtures
- The Mole
- Molecular and Ionic Compounds
• Fossil Fuel and Nuclear Energy Production
• Renewable Electricity Production
• Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration
• Cycling of Matter in Ecosystems
• Ecosystems and Ecological Succession
• Interactions within Ecosystems
For free resources, useful teaching tips, and tools, please visit my blog -
If you have any questions please feel free to send me an email - email@example.com