This colorful and detailed PowerPoint and bundle explains the difference between the compositional layers of the earth (crust, mantle, outer and inner core) and structural layers (lithosphere, asthenosphere, mesosphere, inner core and outer core). The PowerPoint also previews earthquake, or seismic, waves and explains how these waves are used to determine that the outer core is made of liquid and the inner core is a solid.
This bundle includes a drawing component where students distinguish between the compositional and structural layers. Also included is a lab which has students test the density of granite, the main rock of continental crust and the density of basalt, the main rock of oceanic crust. So, this lab is also a great review of using displacement to find the volume of an irregular object (rock), measure mass with a balance and calculate density.
Included in the Earth's Interior Super Bundle:
• PowerPoint: Earth's Interior
• PowerPoint Notes Handout: Earth's Interior
• Quiz: Earth's Interior
• Quiz Key: Earth's Interior
• Worksheet: Earth's Interior
• Worksheet Key: Earth's Interior
• Drawing: Earth's Interior (Compositional vs. Structural)
• Lab: Densities of the Earth's Crust