NGSS First Grade: Patterns of Motion. Seasonal Patterns. Cycles. Earth’s Place in the Universe focusing on patterns of the sun, moon, Earth along with sunrise and sunset impacting seasons.
1-ESS1.1: Use observations of the sun, moon, and stars to describe patterns that can be predicted.
1-ESS1-2: Make observations at different times of year to relate the amount of daylight to the time of year.
ESS1.A: The Universe and its Stars
ESS1.B: Earth and the Solar System
This packet contains printables that will help support students’ knowledge of the concepts you teach.
26 pages of printables for students + many teacher-only directions and notes pages too.
1. Students will demonstrate their knowledge of patterns such as hours in the day, days in a week, months in a year and days in a year with a lift the flap to see the answer page.
2. A foldable with three flaps also helps document knowledge about the sun, Earth and moon.
3. A pop-up craft project of the Earth, moon, and sun is also included.
4. A book is provided that allows for pictures to be drawn to show observations of the sun’s position in the sky during the school day.
5. A chart provides an opportunity to document the times of sunrise and sunset to notice patterns.
6. Half-page flashcards for Night and Day are also included for whole group brainstorming of activities done or things observed in the sky.
7. Students can also create their own lists of things done during the night or day with the worksheet included.
8. As a final activity, students can have their photos put on the cover of a "magazine" and document their observations in an article written by a classroom peer. These are great to post on a bulletin board or around the school.
9. "Scientists ask questions." card + 7 question cards to spark curiosity for collecting data.
10. Vocabulary cards for: solstice, rotate, revolve, orbit, sun, star, moon, planet, solar system
I hope your students enjoy showing what they have learned by creating some of these projects.
Earth's Place in the Universe: NGSS Mini Books
is a product also available in my TpT store.
Please watch for additional NGSS materials in my store.
As always, I will be waiting to read your feedback to find out how these materials were used in your classroom. I hope you can put your own "twist" on them.
Enjoy learning about science!