Enrich your 1st grade Earth Science lessons or unit and watch your students learn about Space Systems that include patterns and cycles. This Next Generation Science Standard inspired activity collection for First Grade reviews patterns of the motion of Earth, seasonal patterns, and cycles. Earth’s place in the universe focuses on patterns of the sun, moon, Earth along with sunrise and sunset impacting seasons. Grab this collection now and make teaching science easier and more engaging.
What NGSS goals are the focus?
1-ESS1.1: Use observations of the sun, moon, and stars to describe patterns that can be predicted.
1-ESS1-2: Make observations at different times of year to relate the amount of daylight to the time of year.
Big topics covered:
ESS1.A: The Universe and its Stars
ESS1.B: Earth and the Solar System
26 pages of printables for students
along with many teacher-only directions and note pages too.
10 different activities are included:
1. Students will demonstrate their knowledge of patterns such as hours in the day, days in a week, months in a year and days in a year with a lift the flap to see the answer page.
2. A foldable with three flaps also helps document knowledge about the sun, Earth and moon.
3. A pop-up craft project of the Earth, moon, and sun is also included.
4. A book is provided that allows for pictures to be drawn to show observations of the sun’s position in the sky during the school day.
5. A chart provides an opportunity to document the times of sunrise and sunset to notice patterns.
6. Half-page flashcards for Night and Day are also included for whole group brainstorming of activities done or things observed in the sky.
7. Students can also create their own lists of things done during the night or day with the worksheet included.
8. As a final activity, students can have their photos put on the cover of a "magazine" and document their observations in an article written by a classroom peer. These are great to post on a bulletin board or around the school.
9. "Scientists ask questions." card + 7 question cards to spark curiosity for collecting data.
10. Vocabulary cards for: solstice, rotate, revolve, orbit, sun, star, moon, planet, solar system
Yes, you get all of that in your download. I just made your lesson planning easier!
I hope your students enjoy showing what they have learned by creating some of these projects. Have fun while teaching science!
Enjoy teaching science! Just download and get started.
P.S. Still on the fence about downloading this bundle of activities?
FYI: This is one of my first NGSS resources created and it is also one of my best sellers. Read some of the reviews to see what other teachers think.
"My kids loved making these flip books!!"
"Have been looking for things to teach the NGSS standards and I love this! Can't wait to use it!"
"My students love the activities and have been wanting to learn more! Thank you!"
Need a few more resources to help you teach science?
Check out my store:
Earth's Place in the Universe NGSS Mini Books
Hands on Investigation of Light
Animal Photos of Traits that Help them Survive
Get TPT Credits
Get FREE money off future purchases! Go to your “My Purchases” page. Beside each purchase you'll see a green thumbs up & “Provide Feedback”. Click it and you just leave a quick rating and a short comment about your new resource. So Easy! When you do this for each purchase, you’ll earn TPT credits that can save you money off of future purchases! Your feedback also helps me make more resources that suit your needs and gives information about the product to other teachers, just like you, who are considering the resource.
Follow My Store
Click to go my TpT store. Then click on the green star & “Follow Me” at the top of my store page. As one of my followers, you will be notified when I post a new item and you may receive an occasional customized email with updates about sales or new products that can make teaching easier.
© Copyright Wendy Wished. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original purchaser only. Copying for more than one teacher or classroom, or for an entire grade level, team, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view, uploaded to school or district websites, distributed via email, or submitted to file sharing sites. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
Your purchase grants you permission for single classroom and personal use only.
Next Generation Science Standards (“NGSS”) is a registered trademark of Achieve. Neither Achieve nor the lead states and partners that developed the Next Generation Science Standards were involved in the production of this product, and do not endorse it. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the Next Generation Science Standards are solely those of Wendy Wished and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the creators of NGSS.