One of my first NGSS resources created is one of my best sellers. This Next Generation Science Standard inspired Activity Set for First Grade reviews patterns of the motion of Earth, seasonal patterns, and cycles. Earth’s place in the universe focuses on patterns of the sun, moon, Earth along with sunrise and sunset impacting seasons.
26 pages of printables for students + many teacher-only directions and note pages too.
10 different activities are included:
1. Students will demonstrate their knowledge of patterns such as hours in the day, days in a week, months in a year and days in a year with a lift the flap to see the answer page.
2. A foldable with three flaps also helps document knowledge about the sun, Earth and moon.
3. A pop-up craft project of the Earth, moon, and sun is also included.
4. A book is provided that allows for pictures to be drawn to show observations of the sun’s position in the sky during the school day.
5. A chart provides an opportunity to document the times of sunrise and sunset to notice patterns.
6. Half-page flashcards for Night and Day are also included for whole group brainstorming of activities done or things observed in the sky.
7. Students can also create their own lists of things done during the night or day with the worksheet included.
8. As a final activity, students can have their photos put on the cover of a "magazine" and document their observations in an article written by a classroom peer. These are great to post on a bulletin board or around the school.
9. "Scientists ask questions." card + 7 question cards to spark curiosity for collecting data.
10. Vocabulary cards for: solstice, rotate, revolve, orbit, sun, star, moon, planet, solar system
Yes, you get all of that in your download. I just made your lesson planning easier.
What NGSS goals are the focus?
1-ESS1.1: Use observations of the sun, moon, and stars to describe patterns that can be predicted.
1-ESS1-2: Make observations at different times of year to relate the amount of daylight to the time of year.
ESS1.A: The Universe and its Stars
ESS1.B: Earth and the Solar System
I hope your students enjoy showing what they have learned by creating some of these projects. Have fun while teaching science!
Need even more fun stuff?
Check out my store:
Earth's Place in the Universe NGSS Mini Books
Hands on Investigation of Light
Animal Photos of Traits that Help them Survive
I love getting feedback about how these materials were used in your classroom. I hope you can put your own "twist" on them.
Enjoy learning about science! Just download and get started.