Earthworm Dissection Lab for Biology Students.
This lab handout provides an in-depth guide through one of the most common dissections done in a life science or biology class - the earthworm. I have very strong feelings about dissections. Dissections need to be thorough, carried out with respect to the organism, and provide a learning opportunity to the student.
This product is also sold in a bundled package of products:
The Phylum Annelida Complete Teaching Unit Plan
This dissection guide consists of a 6-page handout for the student and a 4-page handout for the instructor.
Student handouts include:
4. Materials List
5. Safety Precautions
7. 35 Questions
The procedure will cover:
1. In-depth examination of the external earthworm with 35 questions to answer.
2. The student will make accurate drawings and label certain structures.
3. Detailed instructions are given about the pinning of the worm and how to make the incision carefully and without damage to the internal organs.
4. Diagrams are included to guide the student in making the incision.
5. Systems examined are: Digestive, circulatory, nervous, excretory and reproductive.
6. Space is provided to allow students to draw and label these body systems.
The teacher guide consists of a 4-page handout that includes answers to all questions. Additional photographs are provided for the teacher as a guide to locating the parts of the worm.
This product can easily be used by middle school students as well as high school biology 1 students.
You will receive both an editable Word document as well as a pdf of the lab.
Products related to this topic include:
Phylum Annelida (Earthworm) Powerpoint Presentation
Phylum Annelida (Earthworm) Notes to Accompany Powerpoint
Phylum Annelida Quiz or Homework
Phylum Annelida Jeopardy Review Game
Mollusca and Annelida Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
Phylum Annelida Study Guide and Homework
Study Guide / Homework for Flatworms and Roundworms
Phylum Annelida Crossword Puzzle
Introduction to the Animal Kingdom Warm Ups and Interactive Notebook Pages
PowerPoint on Platyhelminthes and Nematoda
Quiz: Flatworms and Roundworms
Flatworm and Roundworm Notes
Test: Flatworms and Roundworms
Lab: Flatworms and Roundworms
Lab: Observing Live Planaria
Invertebrate Phyla Card Sort Game
Flatworm and Roundworm Jeopardy Review Game
Amy Brown - Science Stuff