"East of Eden" by John Steinbeck: A Study Guide is a comprehensive guide that aims to support reflective reading, not to replace it.
1. Teacher's introduction;
2. Map of the Salinas Valley;
3. Detailed, original introduction for students including: genre, setting, an annotated list of characters, themes, etc.;
4. Each chapter is given a helpful summary/commentary followed by guiding questions (52 in all). The questions encourage readers to a deeper understanding of the background, themes, and characters of the text. They are designed to stimulate thought, discussion and interpretation, not to test, and can be used for self-study, homework, group discussion in class, jigsaw groups, formal presentations, written answers, etc. (Answers are not provided; the students will find their answers in the novel);
5. Literary terms activity and literary terms glossary;
6. Ideas for groupings for classroom discussion, feedback, and presentation;
7. Plot graphic organizers for student notes.