The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Easter themed objects. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
This bundle saves you 33% off the cost of buying each challenge separately. What a bargain! ☺
There are five STEM design challenge events included in this bundle:
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
Multiple iterations are recommended to get the most student benefit, but these can also be treated as one-off activities.
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
• Overall STEM Olympics Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
• Student Handouts
- Criteria and Constraints list (editable version provided)
- Results and Design Data Analysis
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
Note: Updates to this resource will be made by April 9, 2017, so be sure to re-download at that time!
The downloadable preview shows the bonus pages included with the bundle. To see what is included with each challenge, click on the challenge link above and download the preview from that product page. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
You might also like these products:
Easter Parts of Speech Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Seasonal STEM Design Challenge 5-in-1 Bundles (grades 2 – 8):
St. Patrick’s Day
Or these great products:
Photosynthesis: Hands-on Modeling Activity
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit