Looking for an engaging STEM / STEAM Easter activity? Basket Bounce is loads of collaborative fun, coupled with critical thinking, problem-solving, and even a little P.E.!
The basic premise:
Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a basket that will hold and contain Easter eggs as they participate in a bouncy relay race.
- Directions to conduct the race based on whether students design baskets in groups, partners, or individually are included.
Note: This is the printable version. If you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you will want to check out the digital option for use with GOOGLE SLIDES™ instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to challenge walk-through video
- Criteria & Constraints List (color and B&W; editable)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included; color and B&W)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W)
- Compare and Order numbers_v1: whole numbers to hundreds (editable)
- Compare and Order numbers_v2: decimals to thousandths (editable)
- Fraction mix-up: unscramble numerators & denominators to create addends for a given sum (editable)
- Number puzzles: identify what sets of numbers have in common (editable)
- Math Extension: create your own world problems
- Synonyms and antonyms (editable)
- Process Flow Map
This is one of five challenges available for a 40% discount in the Easter STEM Design Challenge 5-in-1 bundle.
This resource is also available in the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE at an even greater discount!
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
– Straws (10 – 20)
– Pipe cleaners (10 - 20)
– Plastic eggs (6)
– Craft sticks (5 – 10)
– String/yarn (12 – 24 in.)
– Tape (12 - 24 in.)
– Rubber bands (5 - 10)
– Design analysis handouts (included)
– Small cups or bowls
– Paper plates
– Cardboard or card stock
Please download the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
What are teachers saying about Basket Bounce?
"I'll be buying every STEM project from this seller! My kids, admin, and myself loved loved loved them!"
“LOVED THIS! Great way to get some fourth graders brains thinking!”
“We just LOVED LOVED this Stem Challenge! Thanks for challenge that really made us think...and... JUMP!”
“Great way to incorporate STEM as well as physical activity for program review!!!”
“Outstanding activity, LOVE the new standard alignments for k-12.”
You might also like these resources:
⭐ Create-ure STEM Challenge
⭐ Earth Day STEM Challenge: New Earth City
⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge Bundle
⭐ STEM Design Challenge: Build a Boat
⭐ STEM Challenge: Flower Frenzy
⭐ Photosynthesis: Modeling Activity and Guided Notes Lessons
⭐ Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge Bundle