Looking for engaging spring and Easter activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering and/or math? These STEM / STEAM Challenges bring the joy back to your classroom with collaborative, hands-on, brain-busting work (disguised as fun)!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build five spring / Easter themed objects. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
Note: This is the printable version. If you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you will want to check out the digital option for use with GOOGLE SLIDES instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge: Carrot Carriage
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge: Basket Bounce
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge: Egg-hanced
⭐ Spring - Easter STEM Challenge: Bean Bind
⭐ Spring STEM Challenge: Nice Nest
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Links to individual challenge walk-throughs
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
• Student Handouts
- Criteria and Constraints list (color and B&W; editable)
- Results and Design Data Analysis (color and B&W)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W)
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus, other design-specific handouts (see each individual challenge product description page for more details)
you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking on the individual challenges listed at the top of this page. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
What are teachers saying about this bundle?
“LOVE your STEM activities! They are always great! Can't wait to use these with my students! Thank you for your hard work!”
“Great resource - very detailed and easy to use.”
“I love the feedback sheets for the students.”
“Fun! Thanks for creating this. Our group of 3rd and 4th graders loved it!”
"We had such fun with these activities! I teach 5th-8th grade Engineering by Design and they love all the activities of yours that I have purchased. I have some phenomenal pictures of all the activities if you tell me where to send them. Thanks, again for all your challenges! I will see if you have any more that I have NOT purchased yet! Thanks!"
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
You might also like these resources: ⭐ Create-ure STEM Challenge ⭐ Earth Day STEM Challenge: New Earth City ⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle ⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle ⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge Bundle ⭐ STEM Design Challenge: Build a Boat ⭐ STEM Challenge: Flower Frenzy ⭐ Photosynthesis: Modeling Activity and Guided Notes Lessons ⭐ Analyze and Interpret Data Unit