Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Looking for an Easter or Spring STEM / STEAM challenge activity to keep your kids engaged in collaborative, fun problem-solving?
The basic premise:
Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a carriage to hold cargo and roll downhill, made primarily of carrots.
Note: This is the printable version. If you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you will want to check out the digital option for use with GOOGLE SLIDES ™ instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge "How-to" videos
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to video walk through of the challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (color and B&W; editable)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included; color and B&W)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W)
- Top 10 Reasons to Eat Your Carrots Template (editable)
- Top 10 Reasons the Easter Bunny needs a Carrot Carriage (editable)
- Estimate & Measure 1 (inches & centimeters; editable)
- Estimate & Measure 2 (standard & non-standard with conversion table; editable)
- Measure & Convert (customary to metric & within metric; editable)
- Process Flow Map
- Create Word Problems
This is one of five challenges available for a 40% discount in the Easter STEM Design Challenge 5-in-1 bundle.
This resource is also available in the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE at an even greater discount!
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
– Large carrots (4 – 6)
– Small carrots (4 – 8)
– Peeps bunnies (1)
– Plastic eggs (1)
– Plastic or butter knife (1)
– Straws (1-2)
– Toothpicks (10 – 20)
– Brass fasteners (4 – 8)
– Ramp (1)
– Simple ramp will be used to test designs (e.g. textbook propped at an angle)
– Ruler (1)
– Used to measure travel distance of carriages
– Design analysis handouts (included)
– Cutting boards
– Rubber bands
Please download the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
What are teachers saying about Carrot Carriage?
“This was our favourite STEM challenge ever!! So creative! I just posted on IG this as #bestresourceever that TPT is asking for! I could not find you on IG to tag you! Thank you!” (Note: I’m @kerrtrac)
“My middle schoolers enjoyed this so much!”
“Students loved it as always! You make great resources!”
You might also like these resources:
⭐ Create-ure STEM Challenge
⭐ Earth Day STEM Challenge: New Earth City
⭐ Summer / End of the Year STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge Bundle
⭐ STEM Design Challenge: Build a Boat
⭐ STEM Challenge: Flower Frenzy
⭐ Photosynthesis: Modeling Activity and Guided Notes Lessons
⭐ Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
⭐ Easter STEM Challenge Bundle