Looking for engaging spring and Easter activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering and/or math? These STEM / STEAM Challenges bring the joy back to your classroom with collaborative, hands-on, brain-busting work (disguised as fun)!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build spring / Easter themed objects. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
There are five STEM design challenge events included in this bundle:
This bundle saves you 40% off the cost of buying each challenge separately. What a bargain! ☺
you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Links to individual challenge walk-throughs (videos will post between March 23 - April 9)
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
• Student Handouts
- Criteria and Constraints list (color and B&W; editable)
- Results and Design Data Analysis (color and B&W)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W)
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus, other design-specific handouts (see each individual challenge product description page for more details)
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking on the individual challenges listed at the top of this page. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Note: All challenges in this resource were updated in March 2017, so be sure to re-download if you own already it!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
What are teachers saying about this bundle?
“LOVE your STEM activities! They are always great! Can't wait to use these with my students! Thank you for your hard work!”
“Great resource - very detailed and easy to use.”
“I love the feedback sheets for the students.”
“Fun! Thanks for creating this. Our group of 3rd and 4th graders loved it!”
"We had such fun with these activities! I teach 5th-8th grade Engineering by Design and they love all the activities of yours that I have purchased. I have some phenomenal pictures of all the activities if you tell me where to send them. Thanks, again for all your challenges! I will see if you have any more that I have NOT purchased yet! Thanks!"
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
You might also like these resources:
Spring / Easter STEM Challenge: Flower Frenzy
Easter Parts of Speech Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Earth Day STEM Challenge: New Earth City
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE
Getting Started with STEM Challenges FREEBIE
End-of-Year / Summer STEM Challenge Bundle
Valentine’s Day STEM Challenge Bundle
St. Patrick’s Day STEM Challenge Bundle
Back-to-School STEM Challenge Bundle
Halloween STEM Challenge Bundle
Thanksgiving STEM Challenge Bundle
Christmas/Winter STEM Challenge Bundle
Graphing with Skittles Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Photosynthesis: Hands-on Modeling Activity
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit