PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Easter Story Card Centers | Easter Writing Activities | Writing Centers for Third Grade
Story Card Writing Center resources were designed to strengthen students’ story writing abilities while being low prep and easy to manage for you. Included are a month worth of writing center tasks. Each week, students work on different skills important to narrative writing using picture and word cards. Covered skills include resolving conflicts, creating characters, crafting sentences, categorizing vocabulary, and more. With practice, students become more comfortable with the writing process and confident in their skills as writers.
This Easter Story Card Writing Center features a secular Easter theme (baskets, candy, rabbits, etc.) Two versions of the activity grid are included - one for students who visit the writing center once a week and the other for students who complete writing center tasks twice per week. This second version includes companion tasks that build on each other and provides opportunities for students to work together.
Each Story Card Writing Center resource also includes supplemental resources designed to help students complete the center activities successfully on their own. For example, this Easter resource includes fact sheets on compound sentences and superlative adjectives.
PLEASE NOTE: After completing the center activities, students will not have a completed story. The purpose of these centers is not to complete the full writing process, but to work on individual components. They’re perfect for reluctant or hesitant writers in that they offer targeted practice on specific skills for a short amount of time. However, you could choose to use students’ completed work as starting points for creating an entire story during a future writing block.
This resource includes:
1. Teacher notes. Several pages describing what is included and suggested teaching plans.
2. Picture Story Cards. 24 cards featuring images relating to Easter including children, baskets, candy, flowers, animals, and more.
3. Word Story Cards. 20 word cards that coordinate with the included picture cards.
4. Activity Grids. Two versions included. The first is for students who visit a writing center once per week. There are four tasks listed – students choose which to complete each week. The second version contains eight tasks and is intended for students who visit a writing center twice per week. On Day One of each week, students complete a given task independently. On Day Two, they use that completed work and build upon it with a partner. The activities included focus on these skills:
➢ Setting – creating a setting for an Easter story.
➢ Conflict/Solution – creating a conflict for an Easter story and resolving it.
➢ Compound Sentences – creating compound sentences using like objects.
➢ Superlative Adjectives – forming superlative adjectives from categories of words.
5. Response Pages. Several versions of work pages are included – some feature space for drawing or categorizing while another has lines for writing.
6. Supplemental Resources. Topic fact sheets are included to help students complete work successfully on their own. This resource includes fact sheets on Compound Sentences and Superlative Adjectives.
If you’re looking for the same tasks with a Christian Easter theme, you can find them here:
Or purchase this resource and the Christian themed set in a money saving bundle here:
For other similar resources, be sure to see these categories:
Thanks for stopping by my store and taking a look! Please email me with any questions you have before purchasing: email@example.com
Want to receive updates and discounts on newly listed products? Click the star by my name to follow my store. Subscribing to my newsletter will give you access to exclusive free resources, advance notice of special events, as well as occasional updates to posts and products. Subscribe
© 2016 Jennifer Martinez, everything just so. All rights reserved. License permits individual use in single classroom only. To share with friends, please purchase additional licenses at a discounted price. No part of this work may be reproduced in any way or by any means without expressed written consent of the author. Thank you for helping to protect my work!