Here is an impressive drawing that makes it easy for students to achieve beautiful results!
This drawing provides a great opportunity to show students how to apply the Art Elements (Line, Color, Shape, Space, Value and Texture) and many of the Design Principles (Repetition, Variety, Emphasis, Unity, Balance and Contrast) to create a successful value drawing! Step-by-step instructions make this lesson easy to teach and also easy for all students to achieve success!
How I used this lesson: In 7th grade Art, I review the Art Elements for the first 4 weeks with short mini-lessons. After the review lessons, I then introduce the Design Principles. I used this lesson with my 7th graders as their first drawing to discuss how we are using the Art Elements Line and Value to shade overlapping autumn leaves to create the illusion of Space. Emphasis in the drawing is achieved by the use of one beautiful leaf shaded with Color. Other Design Principles applied to this drawing include: Variety, Contrast, Repetition Movement and Unity.
Value shading,lifting out eraser techniques, color pencil layering, burnishing and shading to show shadow and texture all are covered in this fun seasonal art lesson.
Included in this product:
- 6 page illustrated lesson plan
- National Core Visual Arts Standards
- Grading Rubric
- Finished Student examples
- 4 mini-drawing lessons to teach shading with value and color, overlapping, leaf shapes and margins, "lifting out" technique, and observational drawing
- 2 BONUS items: "The Art Elements and Design Principles" and " Using Value to Shade Forms" Practice Worksheet
- Cross-curricular Science Sketchbook Activity " The Anatomy of a Leaf" worksheet
- Related scientific informational handout that covers photosynthesis, leaf functions, "Why Do Leaves Change Color?" and " Why Do Leaves Fall?"
- 4 print-ready drawing resources to assist students to draw a wide variety of leaf shapes, leaf classification and leaf margins, and vein patterns found on various types of leaves.
-Color and black and white Leaf photos to assist students with shading with graphite values and colored pencil values and color.