This is a GREAT way to easily communicate with parents on a daily basis without taking up hardly any of your time!
Here's how it works:
Print out that month's chart, one per student (Aug-May included). Number your master before making a class set of copies. Have the kids put the monthly behavior chart in their take-home folder. At the end of ever day, each student colors in green, yellow, or red (coordinating with their behavior that day). Simple as that! Parents initial each night. You're done!
1. Parents appreciate the daily communication.
2. It is automatic data on each child.
3. The children develop responsibility.
4. It's a fun place to list class birthdays for the kids to see on a regular basis and feel special all month!
5. For lower grades, having students color specifically inside the shape has shown to improve fine motor skills.
6. It's an easy way to keep track of behavior issues and/or progress.
7. The kids love sharing their good behavior.
8. It is quick and easy for the teacher!!
Other ideas to go along with this:
*Students number the boxes, or you can number each box before copying. (I like my students to do it; great practice!)
*You can also print a master, write important school dates, students birthdays, or little reminders in the boxes. Then copy on a copy machine, one per child.
*Collect all the charts at the end of each month. Save as behavioral data on each student.
*I use this along with incentive tickets. Each "green day" counts as a star on their ticket. When their ticket is full (20 stars), they may pick a treat from our treasure box. Really encourages good behavior and my students have become very responsible!!