How high will the ball bounce? is one of several experiments that my students plan and perform to learn the basics of experimental design, collecting data and summarizing results.
I really like this lab for allowing my students to discover the challenges of conducting a controlled experiment through trial and error.
It’s perfect for pairing with a lesson on kinetic and potential energy and can be completed in one class period.
• Identify variables and constants
• Examine experimental design
• Graph data
• Summarize results
• Balls – small bounce balls work well ( and are very cheap)
• Meter sticks, yard sticks or measuring tape (1 or 2 per group)
• Masking tape to secure meter sticks/measuring tape to wall