In this activity, students will analyze their daily water use and energy consumption, and develop a list of ways they can aid in water and energy conservation.
Most of us take for granted that we will always have clean water and an ample supply of electricity available to us for our daily activities. We rarely stop to think about how much water we are using or how much energy it takes to run our refrigerator 24 hours a day.
PLEASE NOTE: This ecology activity is included in a money-saving bundle: The Human Impact on the Environment Complete Unit Bundle. Click this link to view the bundle.
Conservation of resources is vital to our growing human population. In order to be good stewards of Planet Earth, students must be aware of how they use and misuse various resources. Your students will be enlightened about their water and energy use after completing this activity. Hopefully this will lead our students to develop a conservation plan for the resources used in their homes.
What materials are required for this activity?
• Water bill and/or electrical bill
• Reference tables showing water use and energy consumption of daily activities (Included in download)
What will the students be doing?
• Students will list their household uses of water and electricity and determine how much water and electricity each activity requires.
• Students will analyze their family utility bill to compare their actual water/electricity use with their calculated water/electricity use.
• Students will work in groups to determine ways they can conserve water and energy use in their homes.
• Students will complete critical thinking questions about about their personal use of water and electricity.
What is included in this resource?
• 7-Page Student worksheet
• 5-Page optional paper-saving student handout
• 6-Page Teacher Guide and Answer Key
• Reference Tables showing water use and energy consumption of various household activities.
Teacher Guide Includes the Following:
• Rationale and purpose of the activity
• Descriptions of how to use the two versions of this activity
• Teacher directions
• Tips and suggestions for the successful completion of the activity
• Sample data
• Complete answer key
• Web site sources for additional information on the conservation of water and electricity
Related Products Include:
Human Impact on the Environment PowerPoint and Notes Set
Set of 2 Homework Assignments / Study Guides for Human Impact on the Environment
Lab: The Effect of Acid Rain on Seed Germination
Quiz Set of 2: Human Impact on the Environment
Humans and the Environment Task Cards
Human Impact on the Environment Review PowerPoint Questions and Answers
Human Impact on the Environment Unit Test
FREE Set of Six Ecology Crossword Puzzles
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page