The simulation encourages your students to think economically and politically as they become Island citizens with very real opportunities and challenges. Your students may become business moguls, politicians, or paupers struggling to find food, energy sources, and shelter. The simulation exposes your class to a litany of concepts from scarcity and opportunity costs to fiscal and monetary policy and everything in between. Econ Island provides eighteen painstakingly crafted lessons written by a real Economics teacher who has tested these methods in his own classrooms. All told, these lessons provide up to 1000 minutes of classroom instruction. Econ Island also provides dozens of discussion questions to help the instructor reinforce the concepts on display and provide closure during the lesson. Econ Island is a meticulous designed educational tool that has been vetted by years of classroom use. It can be used to augment a preexisting course or to teach economics and government from start to finish. It is comprehensive, and most importantly, flexible enough to match any teaching style.
Perhaps Econ Island's strongest characteristic is its sheer playability. Students lose themselves in the simulation, as the game takes on a life of its own. It is a fun and refreshing method to present content that is as enjoyable to teach as is it to play. Although the game itself is represented by tokens, cards, and a game board, it will mean so much more to your class.
This product - Econ Island - contains:
- 18 lesson plans (over 100 pages) in Microsoft Word format with detailed instructions about how to use Econ Island in your classroom.
- 52 .pdf files containing high quality cards for use in the simulation.
- Instructions and resources (.pdf and .jpg files) for creating the Econ Island game environment.
- Microsoft Excel and Google Doc files for simple data collection
- All the resources you will need to make the simulation come to life in your classroom!
Still unconvinced? Check out this sample lesson plan and resources: