Economics: Supply and Demand
“Economics: Supply and Demand” is a Social Studies lesson that focuses on understanding the law of supply and demand and its effect on prices in a market economy. The original informational text provides an overview of the definitions of supply and demand, as well as several real-world examples of how this principle plays out in the economy.
I created this lesson with two goals in mind – combining reading comprehension skills with Social Studies content into a single lesson. Students not only learn about the law of supply and demand, they also practice identifying cause-effect relationships.
As a teacher in a co-teaching classroom, it’s important that my lessons address a variety of learning needs and styles. There’s something for every learner in this lesson – discussion, hands-on activities, group and individual work, singing, gesturing, and lots of practice – both guided and independent.
Included in this product:
• Detailed 6-page lesson outline (PREVIEW)
• “I Can” Learning Goals Chart
• Essential Questions Chart
• Vocabulary Posters – supply, demand
• Vocabulary Lesson Outlines
• Content-rich Informational Text (Lexile measure 820L)
• PowerPoint version of Info Text
• Teacher’s Guide for the Informational Text
• Cloze (scaffolded) Notes for informational text with answer key
• 3D Graphic Organizer (foldable)
• Market Activity – PowerPoint and Answer Sheet
• Comprehension Skill Printable – cause and effect
Suggestions for how to use the activities in this lesson with an interactive notebook are also included. The 3D graphic organizer will fit within the pages of a standard composition notebook. However, the lesson is designed so that it can also be used without such notebooks.
There are also annotated teacher versions and answer keys throughout the lesson so you can concentrate on what you do best – teaching! While I taught this lesson to my own students over a 3-day period, you can easily break apart the different activities and personalize it to suit your own schedule.
Looking for more lessons about economics?
• Economics: Opportunity Costs
• Economics: Taxes
• Economics: Saving and Investing
If you purchase this product, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Teaching ~ The Reflective Educator
Social studies, economics, supply, demand, market economy, prices, consumers, products, goods and services, informational text, interactive notebook, foldable, graphic organizer, cloze notes, scaffolded notes, Power Pix, Whole Brain Teaching