Economics: Taxes” is a Social Studies lesson that combines reading informational text with writing and math. Students do a close read of the text before applying their knowledge to identifying types of taxes, calculating sales tax and explaining the purpose of taxes in answer to a writing prompt.
As a teacher in a co-teaching classroom, it’s important that my lessons address a variety of learning needs and styles. There’s something for every learner in this lesson – discussion, hands-on activities, group and individual work, movement, and lots of practice – both guided and independent.
Included in this product:
• Detailed 4-page lesson outline (PREVIEW)
• “I Can” Learning Goals Chart
• Essential Questions Chart
• Vocabulary Poster – tax
• Vocabulary Lesson Outline
• Content-rich Informational Text (Lexile measure 950L)
• PowerPoint version of Info Text
• Teacher’s Guide for the Informational Text
• Cloze (scaffolded) Notes for informational text with answer key
• 3D Graphic Organizer (foldable)
• “Types of Taxes” printable
• “Calculating Sales Tax” printable – two levels of difficulty
• Writing Prompt
Suggestions for how to use the activities in this lesson with an interactive notebook are also included. The 3D graphic organizer will fit within the pages of a standard composition notebook. However, the lesson is designed so that it can also be used without such notebooks.
There are also annotated teacher versions and answer keys throughout the lesson so you can concentrate on what you do best – teaching! While I taught this lesson to my own students over a 3-day period, you can easily break apart the different activities and personalize it to suit your own schedule.
You will receive a .zip file containing everything. Please ensure you unzip/extract all items to use them.
Looking for more lessons about economics?
• Economics: Supply and Demand
• Economics: Opportunity Costs
• Economics: Saving and Investing
Happy Teaching ~ The Reflective Educator
Social studies, economics, taxes, goods and services, property, informational text, interactive notebook, foldable, graphic organizer, cloze notes, scaffolded notes, Power Pix, Whole Brain Teaching