Use this set of 5 daily quizzes on ecosystems, energy flow and the recycling of matter to keep your students studying in the days leading up to the unit exam. Each quiz is 2 pages and includes a teacher answer key. While these are perfect for daily quizzes, they can also be used as homework assignments, classwork, or study guides for your unit test.
This set of 5 quizzes can be used with the ecosystems chapter of any biology textbook.
This set of 5 quizzes is perfect to use with my PowerPoint and Notes set: Ecosystems and the Biosphere - Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter. Click this link to view this set.
Each of the 5 quizzes is 2 pages in length. Question types vary and include matching, fill in the blank, short answer, and labeling. Answer key is provided for each quiz.
This quizzes are most appropriate for biology or life science students in grades 8 - 12.
What material is covered by each quiz?
• Definition of ecosystem.
• Energy Flow Through the Ecosystem: Sunlight as a source of energy, importance of photosynthesis, conversion of energy into glucose and other organic compounds.
• Autotrophs, producers, photosynthesis, examples of autotrophs, chemoautotrophs and chemosynthesis.
• Heterotrophs, consumers, examples of heterotrophs, herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, detritivores, decomposers, the essential nature of decomposition.
• Feeding Relationships: One way flow of energy through the ecosystem, food chains, examples of food chains, food webs, trophic levels, primary producers, primary consumers, secondary consumers, tertiary consumers.
• Productivity of the Ecosystem: Two ways to measure productivity, gross primary productivity, the role of glucose in productivity, biomass, net primary productivity, factors that determine productivity in both terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems.
• Energy transfer between trophic levels, ecological pyramids, percentage of energy that moves up to the next trophic level, reasons why the transfer of energy is so low.
• Given an ecological energy pyramid, the student will identify the primary producer, the primary consumer, secondary consumer, tertiary consumer, and quaternary consumer, as well as calculate the amount of energy passed to each trophic level.
• Ecosystem recycling: The recycling of matter, the essential need to recycle carbon, nitrogen, water, and phosphorus
• Definition of “biogeochemical cycle.”
• Difference in the way that matter and energy move through an ecosystem.
• Water Cycle: Location of water, evaporation, precipitation, transpiration, condensation, steps to water cycle, students will complete a diagram of the water cycle.
• The Carbon Cycle: The importance of carbon to organic compounds, the role of photosynthesis and cellular respiration in the carbon cycle, the role of erosion and volcanic activity in the carbon cycle, decomposition, burning of fossil fuels, steps to the carbon cycle.
• The student will label a diagram of the carbon cycle and answer questions about the diagram.
• The human impact on the carbon cycle.
• The Nitrogen Cycle: The importance of nitrogen in building proteins and nucleic acids, nitrogen fixation, ammonification, nitrification, denitrification, assimilation, the role of various bacteria in the nitrogen cycle.
• The Phosphorus Cycle: The importance of phosphorus to ATP and nucleotides, the movement of phosphorus through the ecosystem.
• Limiting nutrients.
The download will include both a Word document as well as a pdf form of each quiz.
Related products include:
Introduction to Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Outdoor Lab Activity: Exploring an Ecosystem
Population Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Ecosystems Task Cards
Community Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Ecosystems and the Biosphere: Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Food Chains and Food Webs Activity
Ecosystems Homework Bundle
Ecosystems Unit Test
Ecosystems and the Biosphere: Biomes of the World PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Humans and the Environment PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Set of 6 Ecology Crossword Puzzles - FREE
Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter Review Questions and Answers
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page