This unit plan is developed using the Elements of Literature, Third Course © 2009 by Holt McDougal. It includes
- a handout to take notes on different types of narration
- a handout to take notes on different types of figurative language
- a handout describing the Gothic genre
- a plot diagram for analysis of a short story
- a timeline activity that help students better understand Poe as an author.
As a class, we used the digital versions of Poe's short stories provided by the Guttenberg project. Students worked through the packet in groups of four and each group was assigned a different short story to analyze. To finish the unit, students jigsawed and compared The Cask of Amontillado, the short story they read, and the story read by their partner in a three-circled venn diagram.
Overall, the unit was engaging, meaningful, and pleasantly paced. Not to mention, the unit also allows for excellent review of literary terms used every day in a language arts classroom.