Warm-ups are a fantastic way to engage students, revise previous content and introduce new concepts. This bundle includes concepts aligned to the Australian Year One and Pre-Primary Curriculum. Each concept features editable components so you can adjust them to suit your students' needs. This pack has slides that follow a rote learning style, e.g. sight words, and also slides that the whole class can complete on mini-whiteboards or as the basis for an entire activity. If you would like to see more about how I use these slides in my classroom, you can follow me on instagram @mrschalmerscherubs.
While we are navigating this global pandemic, I am more than happy for you to adjust this resource to best suit the needs of your class.
***Tips for Distance Learning***
- Share sections of slides with parents/students through e-mail or an online platform. E.g. release new sight word slides /grammar content / math concepts each week.
- Screen shot desired slides and upload as an image for students to complete on SeeSaw (or other platform).
- Display selected slides on your computer/smartboard. Work through a normal routine, filming the warm-up for students to access online.
- Follow me on instagram @mrschalmerscherubs for more tips or to have questions answered.
There are over 990 slides and the current slides include:
- Sight words (sight words - completely editable for any list.)
- Initial sounds (a locked version and an editable version is available for all letters).
- Letter of the day (students identify a common sound out of pictures)
- Digraphs, trigraphs and blends.
- Nonsense words (includes editable slide to add words in your own font).
- Segmenting and blending.
- Onset and Rime: -at, -ed, -ot, -en, -ig, -og'.
- Spelling (CVC words with a phoneme frame).
- Rhyming words (matching & generating).
- Syllable Identification.
- Phoneme manipulation.
- Trash or treasure? Identifying real and nonsense words.
Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation
- Punctuation flash cards
- 'Pick your punctuation': Editing sentences with the correct punctuation.
- Pre-Primary: Whole class editing sentences (checking for sense, capital letters and full stops).
- Year One Editing sentences: Editing sentences for capital letters, punctuation and checking for sense.
- Spelling (CVC - CVCC to be added).
- Rhyming words (matching & generating).
- Sentence Ninjas (up-levelling sentences).
- Grammar Detectives (Identifying parts of speech within a sentence).
- Nouns (Oral language development).
- Word of the day: Read it, spell it, define it & put it in a sentence. Includes an extensive word list to choose from.
Reading comprehension strategies.
- Inference training: 'Reading between the lines' and identifying setting, time and character traits.
- Predicting: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links, sentence starters & crystal ball graphic organiser.
- Connecting: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links & sentence starters.
- Inferring: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links & sentence starters.
- Comparing: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links, sentence starters & Venn Diagram graphic organiser.
- Visualising: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links, sentence starters, 'visualising' practise with photographs.
- Questioning: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links and sentence starters.
- Summarising: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links, sentence starters & 'Somebody Wanted But So Then' graphic organiser.
- Synthesising: Discussion sentence starters.
- Determining importance: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links and sentence starters.
- Features of a book.
- Concepts of print: What is a letter, word and sentence.
- 'Chunky Monkey' reading strategy with activities.
- 'Pointy Pig' reading strategy with activities.
- 'Skippy the frog' reading strategy with activities.
- 'Lips the fish' reading strategy with activities.
- 'Stretchy Snake' reading strategy with activities.
- 'Eagle Eye' reading strategy with activities.
Features of Literacy Texts / Text Structure
- Narrative Elements.
- Recount text structure slides.
- Narrative Writing (editable features).
- Procedural Writing (editable features).
- Report writing (editable features).
- Reading and writing simple poems.
Note: There may be duplicate slides that feature in other year level PowerPoints, e.g. flash cards of phonics sounds; this is to cater for differentiation. Please look at the preview carefully. Some slides are a 'locked' font, unless the text is editable. Please check this font is suitable for your year level.