A Communication Passport is a practical approach for sharing important information about people with complex communication needs. It does this by:
- Describing their most effective means of communication
- Using information from many different people or contexts
- Presenting the person as an individual, rather than their disability
- Strategies for working with individual
- IEP or life goals
- brief description of disability
- Individual's strengths and areas they are working on
- Vision statement
- Individual's interests and dislikes
This tool can support individuals across multiple settings by drawing together complex information and using the person's own views, as much as possible in an easy to read format. It is useful for teachers, parents, doctors, therapists and communication partners in getting to know the person.
The pamphlet can promote partnership with families, agencies and IEP teams. It is extremely helpful at times of transition or when new people come into the person's life. It can quickly help them obtain key information, for example when introducing the child to a new doctor, or a new grade level team.