Wonderful hands on activity to teach/reinforce the concept of 'how many...(tens, units...)' and 'what is the value of'. I use this for my grade 4 class and works well with the Pearson Numbers math book, section 1-3.
1. Buy 3 packs of Monopoly money (more or less as you wish)
2. Write 1000$ on the back of one of the unused dollars.
3. Make a group of money using 9 of each 1’s, 10’s, 100’s, 1000’s.
4. Place in plastic baggie and this is good for one group. 3 packs of Monopoly money makes exactly 10 groups.
5. Place students in groups.
6. Hand each student a Place Value Count Sheet
7. Model on the board some examples.
8. Have them discuss and fill in answers on their own.
Easy to differentiate too. Make easier numbers by removing columns.