These rainbow sight words are a fun way to get students engaged in learning their sight words and to see how far they can go to color their rainbow! This resource provides the teacher with everything you need to start using the rainbow sight words in your classroom for progress monitoring. The children will be working through the list of words at their own pace and you can asses each child individually on a weekly, biweekly, or monthly basis. Once a student has mastered a list of words, meaning that he/she can read all of the words in that color group, then the student will color that ray on their rainbow picture. Here is what is included in the packet:
1.) Student Pages. This includes:
- The rainbow coloring page for students to color when they “pass” a color of the rainbow (in order of increasing difficult starting with red). The student moves on to the next color after passing each set of words.
- The progress monitoring recording sheet. Cross out a word when the student is able to read the word fluently (within 3 seconds), then record the number of words correctly and the date. Continue testing individual students weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly to check for mastery.
** Note - students are not expected to complete all sight words in the program. You and your students set the goals. You can provide an incentive for your students to complete all of the words red - pink by the end of the year or change your goals for individual students.
2.) Teacher Pages. This includes:
- The teacher copy of each set of words to use when testing.
- A level completion certificate for each color set stating: “I know all of the ________ sight words." This can be given to the child and sent home for recognition of hard work learning the set of words.
FOR SET UP:
- For the student pages, I print out all of the pages (1 copy for each student) and either place in a 3-ring folder or create a binded spine for the resource. This way, all pages are easily accessible for progress monitoring and students can see how much their have accomplished.
- For the teacher pages, print out the teacher copies for each set of words. Place the lists in a folder, binder, or create a binded spine for the resource. For the certificates, have each color certificate pre-cut and ready to be signed in the event one of your students passes a set of color words.
- **** Free Sight Word Rings: In this document, the sight words are grouped by their colors and each color has its own page. All you need to do it print each set of words on card stock that matches each set of words. Cut out the words and place on a ring. If you would like to download the FREE and EDITABLE sight word ring to use with this resource, you can download it here: