Warm-ups are a fantastic way to engage students, revise previous content and introduce new concepts. This bundle includes concepts aligned to the Australian Year Three Curriculum. Each concept features editable components so you can adjust them to suit your students' needs. This pack has slides that follow a rote learning style, e.g. sight words, and also slides that the whole class can complete on mini-whiteboards.
If you would like to see more about how I use these slides in my classroom, you can follow me on instagram @mrschalmerscherubs.
While we are navigating this global pandemic, I am more than happy for you to adjust this resource to best suit the needs of your class.
***Tips for Distance Learning***
- Share sections of slides with parents/students through e-mail or an online platform. E.g. release new sight word slides /grammar content / math concepts each week.
- Screen shot desired slides and upload as an image for students to complete on SeeSaw (or other platform).
- Display selected slides on your computer/smartboard. Work through a normal routine, filming the warm-up for students to access online.
- Follow me on instagram @mrschalmerscherubs for more tips or to have questions answered.
Are you after Math Warm-ups? Find them here: Year 3 Math Warm-ups
There are over 610 slides which include:
Phonics and Spelling
- Digraphs, trigraphs and blends.
- Sight words (Completely editable for any word list).
- Nonsense words (completely editable).
- Phonemes that can be represented in multiple ways.
Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation
- Punctuation flash card slides: Capital letters, full stops, exclamation marks, question marks, commas, ellipses, quotation marks, apostrophes, brackets.
- Punctuation explanation: Introduction to different types of punctuation.
- Commonly misspelled words (editable for any word)
- 'Make a word': Creating words out of provided letters.
- 'Level Up': Improving sentences.
- Parts of speech: Exploring nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs.
- 'Grammar Ninjas': Identifying and replacing parts of speech.
- 'Word of the Day/Week': Word work activities / Extensive list of words provided.
- Vocabulary building around a topic.
- Synonyms and antonyms.
- Synonym ladders: Different shades of meaning.
Text Structure (Includes graphic organisers, examples and creative warm-ups)
- Persuasive text structure.
- Narrative text structure.
- Information reports text structure.
- Writing paragraphs.
Reading comprehension strategies.
- Inference training: 'Reading between the lines' and answering questions (completely editable).
- Predicting: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links, sentence starters & crystal ball graphic organiser.
- Connecting: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links & sentence starters.
- Inferring: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links & sentence starters.
- Comparing: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links, sentence starters & Venn Diagram graphic organiser.
- Visualising: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links, sentence starters, 'visualising' practise with photographs.
- Questioning: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links and sentence starters.
- Summarising: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links, sentence starters & 'Somebody Wanted But So Then' graphic organiser.
- Synthesising: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links and sentence starters.
- Determining importance: Mentor text suggestions with YouTube links and sentence starters.
Notes: There may be duplicate slides that feature in other year level PowerPoints. Slides such as phonics, sight words and nonsense words will follow a similar format as other year level warm-ups.