Also included in
- Would you like to keep your students fully engaged while they're editing and proofreading passages? Rap songs are your answer! Even in music and on social media platforms like YouTube, editing and proofreading skills are essential to success! Use these editing and proofreading worksheets based on hi$9.50$14.00Save $4.50
Students will learn to edit and proofread texts using a variety of grammar and punctuation skills as specified by the included proofreading and editing checklist.
Would you like to keep your students fully engaged while they're editing and proofreading passages?
Rap songs are your answer!
Even in music and on social media platforms like YouTube, editing and proofreading skills are essential to success! Use these to show this to your students. These activities challenge students to edit and proofread rough drafts of song lyrics to be used in practical, real-world scenarios like in video subtitles and in classroom activities. Any aspiring rappers, songwriters, or social media influencers in your class will love these activities!
Listen to the songs with subtitles on YouTube using the links below! (Click here if you have trouble viewing the videos.)
A mix of fun topics that kids will love!
These passages and songs cover:
Teach editing and proofreading skills to your students in a way that they will enjoy!
Kids love music and will certainly enjoy using these passages based on songs to practice editing and proofreading skills. These passages use the original scripts for song performance and contain practical examples of casual English contractions (gonna, wanna) and alternative punctuation and spelling for performance purposes. Easily incorporate them into independent activities or complete them together as a class lesson.
Everything included in this bundle is listed below:
- the lyrics for each song for use as a reading passage
- links to the songs for free (see above)
- the lyrics written in formal English for reference when grading
- a proofreading checklist for student use.
*Note: We recommend uploading the documents for this activity to Google Classroom and then converting them to Google Docs for students to edit. Watch this video to learn how! Also, at the end of the document if you choose this option.
How to use these activities:
*Choose a skill to focus on for your lesson or choose from our proofreading checklist. Reuse the song lyrics when you are ready to add a new proofreading focus.
- Explain to students that editing and proofreading are practical, real-world skills. Emphasize that ALL of their favorite singers, rappers, writers, movies, shows, YouTubers, and other social media influencers use editing ad proofreading in some capacity.
- Introduce the activity prompt which will help to emphasize the practicality of the lesson. (The students work at a writing agency and have been contracted by Rap Opera for Kids to edit and proof its song lyrics.) Emphasize that the lyrics they are editing are for performance purposes and reflect how words are said and are not written formally.
- Explain any necessary details that they will need to know based on your lesson and the learning standards being addressed.
- Review examples of the corrections to be made based on the skill that you selected.
- Provide students with the performance version of the song lyrics (and lined paper if necessary). Have them listen to the selected song while following along with the lyrics. to ensure that students are making their own corrections.
- Have students correct the lyrics based on the checklist points that you selected.
- Students may rewrite the lyrics with the corrections or use a proofreading mark system that you choose.
- We recommend having students complete the activity in groups of two or three. Assigning sections of the song lyrics helps to distribute the work fairly.
- Have students check each others' work and share ideas about corrections.
- Review using the formal written lyrics or provide your own edited example.
Let's face it - you're not the average teacher.
If you've read this far, you certainly don't settle for boring, worn-out activities in your class. You're different. You're innovative. And if you want to use fun, engaging activities with your students while still teaching key content, Rap Opera for Kids is just for you. Get this bundle now and keep your students engaged!
*Note: Rap Opera for Kids adheres to the APA style guide with reference to the capitalization of racial and ethnic groups when they are designated by proper nouns. (APA Publication Manual, 6th edition, 3.14, p. 75.) Therefore, the words "Black" and "White" are always capitalized in our texts when they refer to people groups as in the case of the words "Asian, Latino," and "Native American."
*Leave a review if you liked these activities.*
You may also like:
Copyright © 2019 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
AKS.9955 - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1_Dollar_(United_States).jpg, CC BY 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=68542895
Batiste Safont - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=54752649
The Come Up Show from Canada - Lauryn Hill June 21, 2014 @ Sound Academy (Toronto), CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=46951298
Mika-photography - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=38408868
Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Douglass
*Font for "History. Reading. Math. And More... School Just Went Beast Mode. Educate. Entertain. Empower!" text by http://www.junkohanhero.com