These are the files I use to each a unit on untrustworthy authors, focusing on Forrest Carter's "Education of Little Tree."
Without giving students the background controversy of the novel, I have them read it together as a class. I then tell them about the background of the author, and we discuss other examples of authors fabricating their "nonfiction" stories. We conclude the unit with an essay on whether or not the author's background matters, or on whether or not it matters if a "nonfiction" story contains fictional elements.
Included here are:
1) 22 Reading Question documents (1 per chapter, and 1 summary of questions for Chapters 1-4) - 38 pages
2) An Article on the fabrication of the book - 6 pages
3) Final Essay assignment (choice of 2) - 1 page
4) Rubric for grading the essay - 1 page
5) Reading Quiz on Chapter 7 - 2 pages
6) A sample student essay - 2 pages
7) NPR audio clip on Education of Little Tree
8) Eight articles on untrustworthy authors - 33 pages