This is a simple Excel spreadsheet that quickly shows that speeding is not worth the cost of a ticket. I use this in my Driver Education classes.
1. The speed limit
2. The speed you were caught at
3. How many miles you were traveling to your destination
4. How much your current 6 month insurance premium is
The spreadsheet tells you:
1. How many points will be on your license
2. How much the ticket will be
3. How much your insurance will go up
4. How much time you saved
5. How much it costs you per second of time saved
This is based on New York state vehicle and traffic law. The fines and insurance rates are estimates, and can be changed to suit your needs. It is a very rudimentary spreadsheet, but really drives home the point that speeding when you are late is not worth the potential costs.
Many times we speed because it makes us feel like we are solving the problem of running late, but in reality over a short commute, the time saved is minimal, while the dollar amount that one could rack up is substantial.
Note: This was made using Excel 2004 for Macintosh. There should be no issues using this on earlier or later versions of Excel for either Macintosh or Windows. Please let me know if you have any issues.