Mythology units are wonderful cross-curricular means for connecting academic studies to modern life. We know that our students LOVE video games and movies about mythological heroes. We also know the importance of familiarity with these myths so that our students can grasp the many allusions to them both in literature and in everyday life
My Egyptian Mythology Project Unit works for both the English classroom and Arts/Humanities classes. It is an excellent method for making current literary connections or to prior learning concerning the ancient religions, ancient science (astrology, alchemy) and its place as the foundation for modern mathematics, as well as in studies of modern marketing and advertising, creative writing, and humanities electives.
The unit nicely adapts to being taught in part or in its entirety. It is extremely adaptable to varying age groups and abilities.
Both the Egyptian Gods Sock Puppet group assignment and the Egyptian Mythology PowerPoint Presentation Project incorporate technology and public speaking as they appeal to a variety of learning styles.
• Cross-curricular to incorporate art, social studies, and literature to introduce students to the historical and cultural context of the myths
• Gives students an opportunity to exercise their preferences among art, creative writing, or poetry
• Includes a handout for a Bio-poem characterization activity specific to this mythology with a sample Bio-poem
• MLA research
Includes reproducible handouts, rubrics, and answer keys
This package contains the following:
• Egyptian Mythology PowerPoint Project Guidelines handout
• Egyptian Mythology PowerPoint Topics handout
• PowerPoint and Oral Presentation grading rubric
• Egyptian Gods Sock Puppet Art/Performance/Creative Writing Project
• Puppet Show grading rubric
• Egyptian Gods and Goddesses worksheet handouts with answer key
• Bio-poem Characterization activity handout with sample poem
• Egyptian Mythology WebQuest Research/Creative Writing Project handouts
• “Be a Star” Constellation Art/Creative Writing Project Instructions handout
• “Be a Star” Constellation Art/Creative Writing Project grading rubric