El Frijolito Fifo: El Estudio del Crecimiento de las Plantas
In this Spanish literature based thematic unit, adorable, Frijolito Fifo, along with his friends Mariposa Rita, Señor Tierra, Señor Nube, Señor Sol, y Señor Viento, introduce children to the science of plant growth as well as kindness, helping and sharing. With the use of the El Frijolito Fifo book, along with many other colorful hands-on materials, the unit aims to develop a love for reading, while focusing on oral language development, vocabulary acquisition, content comprehension, critical thinking, positive character building, as well as many other skills.
The Billy The Bean song, with its simple, repetitive lyrics and lively rhythm will definitely be a hit and have everyone joining in song!
Subjects: Earth Science, Literacy, Social-Emotional, Music
Resource Types: Book (PowerPoint/PDF or printable), Smartboard, Whiteboard/Flannel Board activities, printable hands-on activities, downloadable music
Download is a ZIP file. (All modern computers can open a ZIP fileformat)
Complete book is provided in three formats for your convenience:PPT
(PowerPoint), DOC (MS Word-97 or later), PDF (Adobe Acrobat). Unitfiles
are provided in JPG (standard image format) and MP3 (standard audio
The unit includes the following:
1.General printing instructions (printable)
2. General Goals, Skills and Instructions (printable)
3. Binder cover sheet (printable in color)
Use this cover sheet if you decide to store all printable materials in a binder with page protectors. (This is how I stored and organized all my thematic units while I as a classroom teacher.
4. Storybook – El Frijolito Fifo- in Spanish (in PowerPoint/PDF or printable book) The book prints in full color. It can be left as a rectangular shape or cut out to match the original bean shape book. In order to print the book you need a printer that prints on both sides of a page. Your computer’s printing settings should be as follows: 1). Print on both sides, 2. Flip pages on long edge, 3). One page for sheet.
5. Storyboard Pieces to retell story (printable or use for smartboard) There are two identical sets of storyboard pieces, one for use with the smartboard and one for printing and used on a whiteboard or flannel board. If printed, the sheets should be laminated and after cutting out the figures, either a small piece of Velcro or small magnet should be glued to the back of each figure.
6. Sequencing Cards (printable or used with the smartboard)
There are two identical sets of sequencing cards. One set is separated so it can
be used with the smartboard. The second set is for printing. This set comes all
on one sheet. After laminating, it can be cut into the separate squares and a piece
of Velcro or small magnet should be glued to the back of each piece.
7. Vocabulary Bingo Games- in Spanish (printables)
The set includes bingo cards with words, bingo cards with figures, calling cards
with words and calling cards with figures. If printing an extra set of the calling cards, they can be used to build a word wall with both word and visual cue.
8. Billy The Bean Song – in English (download and printables)
The song (in English) can be downloaded and played. The lyrics can be printed and enlarged or displayed on the whiteboard. Great tool for teaching ESL.
Some of the skills addressed in the unit are as follows: content development, oral language and vocabulary development, reading comprehension, critical thinking, sequencing, word recognition, matching, visual and audio discrimination, sight words recognition, creative thinking and more….
Over 20 questions in Spanish, some with follow up questions, are provided in order to assess comprehension and build upon the concepts introduced by El Frijolito Fifo story. Following Bloom’s Taxonomy, higher order level questions—those requiring analysis or evaluation (critical thinking) are specifically marked with ** and ****.