I created these vocabulary cards and the following activities in order to make a clearer link between emerging literacy, content, and ESL in my bilingual Kindergarten classroom. Along with the activities included here, my students read/heard non-fiction and fiction texts about fall, went on a fall field trip, went on an outside walk to look for the signs of fall, and composed LEAs about fall and their fall experiences. These experiences allowed students to practice content vocabulary in a natural context.
Included in this file are the following:
- Content vocabulary cards with picture cues in both Spanish and English (with articles) for the following words: el otoño (fall), las hojas (the leaves), se caen (fall), fresco (chilly), el viento (wind), la sudadera (the sweater), la chaqueta (the jacket), el rastrillo (the rake), la calabaza (the pumpkin), la manzana (the apple), la cosecha (the harvest), la bellota (the acord), Halloween, el día de los muertos (the day of the dead).
- The colors of fall vocabulary cards in Spanish and English.
- Suggested Total Physical Response motions for each of the above vocabulary.
- Two different printable Write the Room Activities (with pictures and without).
- Suggested games for practicing vocabulary in Spanish and English.
- Tracing fall color words activity.
- 4 Syllable (and vowel) hunts - students read familiar texts and find vowels, m syllables, and s syllables; black and white and color versions included.
- Class book suggestion with cover page and 2 versions of a student writing page so you can differentiate to your students' needs.
- 1 labeling + coloring activity.
- 1 color by color word activity.