Put some smiles into elapsed time practice! This set of task cards uses short easy-to-read word problems with engaging pictures to make practice fun. Large, easy to read clocks on each task card helps students to figure out each answer.
Answer sheets come in 10, 16 and 32 answer versions to allow teachers the ability to choose how many task cards to use for an activity. An answer key is provided that can be given to students for self checking at centers, or used by the teacher for assessment.
If you wish to choose your own set of task cards, use the dot stickers found at food stores and used at garage sales. The 1/4 inch circle should cover the existing number easily. This allows teachers to number the cards as she/he chooses. To make an answer key, just write the answers on one of the answer sheets.
Do you need this resource in its self-checking Digital format? Check out:
All buyers have access to the TPT digital overlay of this resource, which has been annotated for you. It's ready to go! Click on the "Use as a Buyer" red box to access this digital version. Teachers will also be able to edit the directions to customize the resource if needed.
Task cards can be used in many different ways:
1. Centers and/or stations…since task cards can be done in any
order, they are easy to share.
2. In pairs or small groups
3. Whole class
a. Quick review before going home, or to specials
b. Teacher reads question, students write answers on white
c. Use as an assessment. Task cards don’t feel like a test, so
test phobic students are more relaxed.
4. Independent work at seats
5. Send home for homework as reinforcement for students
6. Test Prep
7. Games..Use game boards and dice. Place task cards upside down above game board. As students move around board they must answer task card questions. Partners use the grading key to tell if the answer is correct. Student may only move if the answer is correct.
8. Scoot...Give one answer sheet and one task card per student. Give students 30 seconds to answer their task card question on the answer sheet. Set timer for 30 seconds again and say, "Scoot". Student leaves his/her card on their desk and move to the next seat to answer that question. When the timer dings say, "Scoot" again and students move to next seat until all cards are answered on the answer sheet.
9. Scavenger Hunt...Hide cards around the classroom. Give each student one answer sheet. Students search for cards and answer them as they are found.
10. Jenga...Number Jenga blocks to 36 (or less if you wish). Students play in groups of three-four and take turns pulling them out. Students all answer the task card number on each block on their answer sheet until the Jenga blocks tumble.
11. Exit ticket...Pass one task card to each student plus one sticky note. Students answer on the sticky note and place on board on the way out the door.
This resource addresses common core 3.MD.A.1 as well as 4.MD.A.2
Comments about this resource include:
I like these task cards because they offer a lot of elapsed time practice that is within the hour. Struggling students have more success because they only have to move the minute hand within the hour. Thanks.
Thanks! Elapsed time is such a difficult skill to master---this will be so helpful! :)
If you would like a Power Point presentation of these task cards see:
About this Teacher Author
National Board Certified Teacher (2001-2011), Masters in Curriculum, Gifted Certified, Cobb County Elementary Teacher of the Year, Addison Elementary Teacher of the Year, Bullard Elementary Teacher of the Year, Atlanta Journal and Constitution Honor Teacher finalist ($5000 award), District 3 Georgia Science Teacher of the Year, Author of seven books published by The Child's World Press, Wrote online k-12 social studies and language arts curriculum for Coca Cola, curriculum writer for CNN, curriculum writer for American Legacy Publishers 2009-2014, 25 years teaching experience in grades 1st-4th.
href="http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Dragons-Den">Jan Bernard is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License