A Middle School ELA Lesson for the 2016 Presidential Election
Focus on Analyzing Central Idea and Tone in a Speech
This resource is a complete lesson with all student materials for analyzing the President Elect’s Victory Speech, delivered following the United States Presidential Election of 2016. In this lesson, students focus on analyzing the speech’s central idea, as well as the tone of this speech. In order to complete this presidential victory speech analysis lesson, students can either watch the speech or read a transcript.
This lesson directly addresses the following Common Core Standards: R2 (determine the central idea of a text and analyze how it is supported) and R4 (analyze mood and tone).
This lesson was designed to take one 90 minute class period. An answer key is not provided at this time, but will be added November 9, 2016. Due to copyright restrictions, the text of the speech is not provided, but the resource provides several links to the speech.
1. Do Now: Students list facts and opinions they know about the Presidential Election process. 2. First Read/First Listen of the Presidential victory speech: Students analyze the general, big ideas in the speech.
3. Second Read/Listen of the Speech: Students focus on analyzing central idea and tone in the speech.
4. Reflection: Students complete a personal reflection of the speech, which analyzes the type of leader they think the new president will be, based on the speech.
This ZIP file contains the following:
1. Teacher Directions, including suggested sources for finding the speech (1 page)
2. Student Materials (4 page PDF)
3. Editable Student Materials (4 page PDF)
Other ELA Lesson Plans:
Connotation and Denotation
How to get TpT credit to use on future purchases:
Go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Each time you give feedback, TpT gives you feedback credits that you can use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly.
Click the Green Star to follow me to get updates on sales and new resources.