This comprehensive resource provides you with everything you'll need to engage and teach your students about the Electoral College. Included are: lecture notes, student cloze notes, an engaging simulation, and a follow-up activity about options to reform the Electoral College. This lesson will bring the Electoral College to life and help your students grasp what is often a confusing topic in U.S. Government. Content themes covered: What is the Electoral College and who are the electors, the history of the institution, the voting process, popular vs. electoral votes, swing states, the Electoral College map, winner-take-all system, faithless electors, pros and cons of the Electoral College, reform plans, and more! The power point and cloze notes are editable, so you can make changes to fit your curriculum needs.
- 19-slide power point lecture on the Electoral College (editable)
- 4-page student cloze notes with blanks for students to fill in as you lecture (editable)
- 11-slide Electoral College simulation- students will be assigned to a swing state and will see how the Electoral College works in practice-ballots included (editable)
- Electoral College Reform Activity- includes summaries of 4 different reform plans and a response sheet. (PDF) This activity will get your students moving, thinking, and discussing!
- Teacher directions for successful implementation in your classroom.
This is a great lesson for either regular or AP® U.S. Government classes!
Check out these other great U.S. Government resources available in my store:
U.S. Government Warm-Ups
AP® U.S. Government Warm-Ups
Bingo Bundle: Three Branches of Government
Government Review Game BUNDLE-6 Games
Passing a Bill to Law Activity
Civil Liberties and Civil Rights Supreme Court Rankings Activity
Constitutional or Unconstitutional? Activity and Outlines
Bill to Law BUNDLE
Earn credits for your valuable feedback!
After you purchase a product, return to your “My Purchases” page and provide feedback on this product. You’ll earn credits, which will give you discounts on your future TPT purchases. Your positive feedback is always appreciated!
Visit my store and click on the green star to follow me and receive product updates: Holly's Social Studies Store.
You can also follow me on Pinterest by clicking here.
AP® is a trademark registered by the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, this product.