Reading, Questions and Mystery Picture
This project was created for the 2016 election but can be used for any presidential election. There are two parts. Part 1: A reading explaining the Electoral College with questions to answer. Part 2: A blank map to fill in as the election votes come in. If time permits, we’ve also included a graphing project for the students to create the map.
The graphing project can be a class project or something to be worked on independently when time allows. It also works as an extra credit assignment or when there is a substitute teacher.
The graph consists of points in the first quadrant using ordered pairs with fractions. In order to create the state outlines we had to use the fractions 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4. When finished, they can use markers, colored pencils or other medium to enhance the project.
This package includes
* A reading dealing with the Electoral College.
* Fifteen questions which deal with the reading.
* Chart for the students to fill in the number of Representatives for each state.
* Blank chart if you wish the students to look up the number of electors on their own.
* Blank map for the students to fill in.
* Map with the electoral votes on it.
* Coordinate activity to create a map of the United States.
Coordinate project to create a map.
** Coordinate graph paper for plotting (with a light, medium and a dark grid)
** Coordinate list
** Full sized answer key
** Sample of the completed project in color
Instructional Materials include:
* Student Directions for Plotting Coordinates
* Directions for Plotting Coordinates with Fractions and Decimals
* Directions for Plotting Coordinates in Quadrant I
* Directions for Plotting Coordinates in All Quadrants
* Details for Plotting Coordinates with Fractions in Quadrant I
* Details for Plotting Coordinates with Fractions in All Quadrants.
Keywords: Coordinate Drawing, Coordinate Graphing, election, electoral votes, President, Presidential, Voting, Vote